PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Crown Night Heron

Don Lacy
05-05-2011, 07:31 PM
I do not see these guys very often let alone in a position to for a nice image. Photo was taken at Ft Desoto's North Beach in the morning.

40D, 500 f/4, 1/1600 at f/5.6, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 400, Raw, Tripod, clone out a bunch of grass off of the top of the dune.

Arthur Morris
05-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Very sharp and the colors jump off the screen. I like the head angle. For me this one needs more room behind the bird, and I wish that we could see the feet.

How has DeSoto been?

Don Lacy
05-05-2011, 08:22 PM
I have more room behind but there is nothing I can do for the feet:S3: Desoto was a little slow were you could photograph most of the birds were in the roped off areas which was frustrating but with a little luck and patience something normally shows up.

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Don, a nice shot indeed. Does appear a bit tight on the left, the feet aren't a breaker for me, however it would make it a stronger image. The sharp eye, and colors, pulls me right into the image.
Congrats , on a great capture on a slow day!
Don

arash_hazeghi
05-05-2011, 08:42 PM
looks nice and sharp!

Roger Clark
05-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Don,

Beautiful image. The phase angle looks to be about 20 degrees, with the sun to the left. That makes the fine texture in the feathers so nice. Well done.

I agree with the comments about adding back a little space on the left.

Roger

Sidharth Kodikal
05-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Very nice image Don. I'm enjoying the details and for some reason also the angle.
Agree that a bit more room to the left would improve it.

Don Lacy
05-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Don,

Beautiful image. The phase angle looks to be about 20 degrees, with the sun to the left. That makes the fine texture in the feathers so nice. Well done.

I agree with the comments about adding back a little space on the left.

Roger
Roger I was very conscious on trying to get good light angles when possible following your post on the subject.

Dumay de Boulle
05-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Great light and nice sharp detail...The eye is awesome, would also like to see a bit more space behind...but not seeing the feet doesnt bug me at all...lovely bird and lovely image

Tom Redd
05-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Don, lovely shot. I agree, more canvas behind the bird, but the feet are not a huge deal to me. Cool eyes.

Arthur Morris
05-06-2011, 06:50 AM
I have more room behind but there is nothing I can do for the feet:S3: Desoto was a little slow were you could photograph most of the birds were in the roped off areas which was frustrating but with a little luck and patience something normally shows up.

Thanks Don. We would love to see a more balanced repost. I knew that there was nothing that you could do to get the feet in the image. It is not a huge deal but anyone who can honestly say that they would not have preferred to have the bird standing atop the sand ridge with the feet visible needs to see a doctor :).

The year round roped off area has reduced the quality of nature photography opps there probably by about 75%. It was done originally to protect nesting birds but zero birds have nested successfully inside the roped off area. To me the whole thing is both bogus and unfortunate.

Stu Bowie
05-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Super pose Don, and just love the sharp detail captured. I like the orange eye, and another vote for a tad more space behind.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Don, an excellent shot. Rarely do we get to see this species against that BG. The water color is gorgeous. perfect HA. Yes, to tad more room behind.

Don Lacy
05-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks Don. We would love to see a more balanced repost. I knew that there was nothing that you could do to get the feet in the image. It is not a huge deal but anyone who can honestly say that they would not have preferred to have the bird standing atop the sand ridge with the feet visible needs to see a doctor :).

The year round roped off area has reduced the quality of nature photography opps there probably by about 75%. It was done originally to protect nesting birds but zero birds have nested successfully inside the roped off area. To me the whole thing is both bogus and unfortunate.

Here is a more balance composition and yes a would have preferred seeing the feet but believe me I was thrilled just to get a Yellow Crown image especially against that blue BG.
The signs around the rope off area now say it is a crucial resting area for migrating birds which I found amusing since they kept taking off and re landing for no apparent reason.