PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Vulture

Richard Unsworth
05-05-2011, 01:53 PM
:S3:

Apparently a different one with white on head?

I find the perch fascinating

Shot south of Boquete, Western Panama

PP in PS5 , small crop from left, NR to selected parts of BG

Canon 40D 10-40 + 1.4 TC
ISO 800, f 8 , 1/640, Ev 0

Comments appreciated

Geoff Warnock
05-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi Richard, your exposure looks ok and it seems sharp enough, but it looks like you've cranked the saturation to 11 out of 10 and possibly done something to the background too. I think if you wind back the adjustments it will make a very nice picture, so it would be worth giving it a go.

If I'm right I think a number of your last pictures seemed rather oversaturated, so is it possible that your monitor settings have been changed to something odd?

Richard Unsworth
05-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi Richard, your exposure looks ok and it seems sharp enough, but it looks like you've cranked the saturation to 11 out of 10 and possibly done something to the background too. I think if you wind back the adjustments it will make a very nice picture, so it would be worth giving it a go.

If I'm right I think a number of your last pictures seemed rather oversaturated, so is it possible that your monitor settings have been changed to something odd?

Hi

hmm dont worry its me I like strong colours haha
well the old tiger heron Was a bit otp :S3:

reposting with sat dropped; BG was knocked out with heavy NR using layer; its the other side of a forested canyon so not sure what to say about that.

thanks for your comment

Don Lacy
05-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Richard, I think you went to far on pulling down the saturation I would add just a tad bit more back into the image. i also like the perch but wish for a bit more head turn

Daniel Cadieux
05-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Yep, the saturation went from too much to not enough:S3: Interesting perch for this species. I'd sacrifice the very tip of it by cropping from the left to give it less room behind (as is I feel the vulture to far right of the frame). I too would prefer a better HA, and I would experiment with lesser contrast to minimize the harsh light. Carerful with the halo around the subject too...

Can't explain the white ion the head, perhaps just a slight variation, or some dried-up carrion.

Richard Unsworth
05-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Can't explain the white ion the head, perhaps just a slight variation, or some dried-up carrion.

:S3:Well I just found out that this is an indigenous Panamanian vulture, Cathartes aura ruficollis, have light marks on the back of the neck.

I will have another look at the image and others I have of the same bird :t3

Re reading the DB file this suggests a saturation setting of around +8 on the OOC image so I will have a look at that :e3 and check for clipping too.

Richard Unsworth
05-06-2011, 03:28 AM
:S3:

OK
so added canvas to right, Cropped end of perch at left, lowered contrast and adjusted sat:e3

Geoff Warnock
05-06-2011, 03:45 AM
HI Richard, definitely nicer! The background still bothers me though. I don't think it's to do with your noise reduction treatment, but more the intensity of the green and the blotchiness. What would it look like if you nearly totally desaturate the green in the background to have a more even tan colour, and maybe apply a gaussian blur between 10 and 20 pixels? (again have to watch out for halo though - for blurring backgrounds I normally use a duplicate layer, erase the bird, perch etc., then blur the remainder)

Richard Unsworth
05-06-2011, 04:47 AM
HI Richard, definitely nicer! The background still bothers me though. I don't think it's to do with your noise reduction treatment, but more the intensity of the green and the blotchiness. What would it look like if you nearly totally desaturate the green in the background to have a more even tan colour, and maybe apply a gaussian blur between 10 and 20 pixels? (again have to watch out for halo though - for blurring backgrounds I normally use a duplicate layer, erase the bird, perch etc., then blur the remainder)

Something like this work for you?

Geoff Warnock
05-06-2011, 04:58 AM
much nicer, yes! I think it might be that the green background for a vulture seems odd to my brain, despite the fact that it's perfectly possible!

Richard Unsworth
05-06-2011, 05:02 AM
much nicer, yes! I think it might be that the green background for a vulture seems odd to my brain, despite the fact that it's perfectly possible!

Thank God for that :S3:

Haha now on to editing the 8000 others !

Rich

Arthur Morris
05-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Speaking of the BKGR, please post a JPEG of the full frame original. Thanks.