PDA

View Full Version : I am a walrus goo, goo, g'joob + B/W

Steve Kaluski
05-05-2011, 10:35 AM
This was photographed in Svalbard whilst on the lookout for Polar bears when we came across this rather sleepy pod of male Walrus. Getting close wasn't difficult, just short steps to a point where you were just on their comfort zone, any further and the pod would either move into the sea, or make a lung. So staying within the parameters you got the shots and at times, the full aroma of the group, essence of fish with a hint of vegetation from memory. Occasionally one would pop it's head up just to check, otherwise the pod would dose, snore, or belch, charming. :smile:

I know some may not like the OOF front half, but to me I felt it gave depth and conveyed shooting through the pod.

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 f/4 1/1000 ISO800 (almost FF, Gitzo tripod/Wimberley head)

Harshad Barve
05-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Love the compo and details , You are master man
TFS

peter delaney
05-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi Steve

I understand your thinking behind image... but I feel if there were some OOF walrus in BKG would have made for a stronger image. I have returned a few time to look at image and I have changed my mind... i like as is......!

Steve Kaluski
05-05-2011, 02:08 PM
But then would you get the clarity of the head & tusk, hence the simpler approach to the BG?

WDYT Peter?:w3

peter delaney
05-05-2011, 02:16 PM
I agree... i was amending post as you posted.. ! i also think it would work in B&W ,,, with a yellow filter...:S3:

Steve Kaluski
05-05-2011, 02:23 PM
i also think it would work in B&W ,,, with a yellow filter...

I could be tempted to the dark side of conversion, be interested to see your take on things Peter as I am too close to the image. If you need a larger file let me know, always good to get a different take on things.

Steve

Rachel Hollander
05-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Steve - I like this a lot. Nice detail in the whiskers and the blue bg is pleasing. From your description I can just imagine the stench, sounds a lot like whale breath too. :eek:

TFS,
Rachel

Grant Atkinson
05-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Hi Steve, I really like the contrast between the superb detail in the awakened animal, and the oof BG. Colours superb. Nicely done
grant

Ofer Levy
05-05-2011, 11:30 PM
The oof bodies occupy too much of the frame for my taste.

Allen Hirsch
05-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Love the detail on the in-focus walrus (whiskers, especially).

I think I'd try it with about 1/3 less of the OOF FG.

It would be interesting to see in B&W, too.

Steve Kaluski
05-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Ok Ladies & Gentlemen here is a B/W version, however I did try the 'Yellow' filter, but found it became to contrasty so I have opened it up in the face to retain more detail.

Thanks again.
Steve

Ken Watkins
05-06-2011, 11:26 AM
The oof bodies occupy too much of the frame for my taste.

I absolutely agree with this, also the circumstances are not as I remember them, artistic licence perhaps?

Steve Kaluski
05-06-2011, 12:03 PM
also the circumstances are not as I remember them, artistic licence perhaps?

No Ken, you had made your way to shore to pick up the zodiac.

peter delaney
05-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Steve....you did ask:S3: difficult to do on a small file ,, but you get the gist...

Steve Kaluski
05-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi Peter, although viewing on the laptop, it seems to add a bit more depth going darker. Certainly the flip works very well, always good to see a different take, appreciate the time taken on this Peter.

BTW, will we see the current windswept lion soon? :bg3:

cheers
Steve

Ken Watkins
05-06-2011, 10:18 PM
See Below for correct comment

Ken Watkins
05-06-2011, 10:25 PM
No Ken, you had made your way to shore to pick up the zodiac.

Steve,

The fact that you believe that I was in a different place for one or two minutes does not alter the circumstances under which you took your image, but you can describe whatever you like to do. Can you supply date and time you took this?

Steve Kaluski
05-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Ken, yet again, I am not going to get draw into another debate with you, nor do I have to justify anything or substantiate anything simply because your recollection is different. If you wish to disagree then that is your choice.

Ken Watkins
05-07-2011, 05:17 AM
Ken, yet again, I am not going to get draw into another debate with you, nor do I have to justify anything or substantiate anything simply because your recollection is different. If you wish to disagree then that is your choice.

That's your choice, it is not meant to be a debate, but a request for more information as you have encouraged others to include in their posts.
Such information would enable me to see which of the two major pod sightings and landings that this was taken from but if you wish to keep it secret than that is OK by me.

Robert Amoruso
05-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Debate OVER on circumstances.

Steve,

I would crop some from the bottom. Normally I am not a fan of large OOF FGs. Here I find it can work if used judiciously. I would crop at least 1/2 of the closest body out of the image from below.

Pieter de Waal
05-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi Steve, missed this one whilst away in Kruger. Love the image design and wouldn't change a thing. Nice to see the creativity and different approach to what could be a run of the mill image of a Walrus. Also works well in B&W but the BG colour and light in the OP works best for me.