PDA

View Full Version : Bee in my Bonnet

Jeff Parker
05-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Wildflowers were not very good in central Texas this year, but I enjoy this image.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: 4
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -2/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Continuous
ISO: 400
Lens: 105mm

Roman Kurywczak
05-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Hey Jeff,
light wasn't the best but it is tough to catch bees flying! I'm not generally a fan of square crops....but since the lower portion of the flower is not so pretty.....I'd crop up to where the nice blooms start. Only in the field option was to get closer....but then you would have had other DOF issues to overcome.......always a tradeoff! I think you handled the BG very well given the conditions!

Steve Maxson
05-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi Jeff. Nice job of capturing the flying bee! - it's not that easy to do. Good DOF for f/4. I think Roman's suggestion to crop some off the bottom has merit - that would remove some distracting elements and wilted flowers while focusing our attention more on the bee. I would also suggest toning down the light area in the background just below the bee as it tends to draw my eye. These tweaks will take the image up a notch or two. :S3:

Anita Bower
05-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Texas Bluebonnet? Beautiful color. Good job capturing the bee coming the the flower. I agree with cropping the bottom to eliminate withered flowers. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Childs
05-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Hey Jeff, here's another vote for cropping away the lower part. The light looks a bit harsh but that's the light that's available when these things are flying so I think you did well with what you had to work with.