PDA

View Full Version : Blue Cypress Lake night

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Well, Gang, i've been away from the site for a bit, with a 90% gut and renovation of our home,Whew; finally able to get back to the hobby. Okay, this was my first attempt at the night star deal, trying to get some images like roman, and his workshops produce. Well, needless to say, i just ordered his e-Book, and now i can clearly see where i screwed up :2eyes2: So, now that i have the book, and the clearly written step by step, i can i can go back out and produce a better image.
So here's one without a guide to success(pre-book)..:eek:
Roman killer book buddy.. stay tuned...
Used a small flash light and painted...
Camera Model Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 30
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 3200
Lens EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Focal Length 40.0mm

Roman Kurywczak
05-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Hey Don,
You guys down on S. Florida have it much tougher with light pollution and such.....so you handled it pretty well. The chapter on dealing with that should be a big plus for you. I like the comp overall and it looks like the focus was a hair off.....that is the most difficult part at night! I would also evict those lights low on the r horizon.....just makes a much nicer presentation. I do think if you crop up....eliminating most of the FG grasses on the right and tone down the trunk......this will be stronger as the focus looks pretty good on the cypress and buildings. Looking forward to see what you get when you return and I hope you enjoy the guide!

Robert Amoruso
05-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Roman is the expert here and I think he has got it nailed.

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-05-2011, 10:16 AM
yes, i agree 100% with the suggestions.. thks Roman, and Robert.., i look forward to some more night stuff, especially after reading the guide, and putting the steps together... it's great to be able to capitalize on night stuff as well, after all; most of our wildlife shooting is done, and now we can pursue night stuff when away on the travels, and trips!
don

Dave Mills
05-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi Don, I also like the overall comp and agree with Roman's good suggestions. Shooting this scene at 5.6 will also effect the foreground sharpness...

John Ippolito
05-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I like the composition and eerie feel to this. A pano crop on the browser, just below the stump, removing the OOF FG looks quite nice.

dankearl
05-06-2011, 11:16 PM
I agree about the bright tree, but everything else is almost perfect.
The color is really nice.

Andrew Aveley
05-09-2011, 03:48 AM
The panoramic idea here is a great and can only echo the above comments:c3: