PDA

View Full Version : Red Rock Point

Andrew McLachlan
05-03-2011, 07:51 PM
No time to shoot new landscapes this spring...heck we don't even have leaves on the trees yet. Came across this one while working on a project thought I would post. It is from Red Rock Point on Georgian Bay in Killarney, Ontario. Very close to Killarney Provincial Park. The pink granite here is quite beautiful. In the water there are a couple of submerged rocks that I wonder if they somewhat resemble lens flare and was thinking about desaturating them so they are less noticeable.

Look forward to comments.

Nikon D200
Nikon 12-24mm lens
ISO 100
Nikon Polarizer
Tripod and mirror lock-up

dankearl
05-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Very nice, Andrew.
That is some STILL water.
Beautiful reflection and scene, it makes me want to see more.

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Andrew, very cool, love the reflection and the rock color, rest assured, no rock, and no color like that here in south florida... sand and then more sand!!! Don

John Ippolito
05-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Andrew, a beautiful hunk of pink granite, and it's reflection. I like the clouds reflecting in the water. I see your point with the submerged rocks. While not distracting, they would be easy to desat. Very nice.

Northern Georgian Bay is a remarkably beautiful place. I have canoed/camped throughout Killarney Provincial Park and the ancient, craggy, white quartzite, LaCloche mountains. Particularly striking in the fall. Thanks for the view, it has been 35 years.

Roman Kurywczak
05-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Hey Andrew,
The rock glare would be a good fix for my tastes. I think you did pretty well composing this....although I would be super tempted to evict the tree trunk in the center above the rocks. I am a bit bothered by the cut trees in the water....although I also realize that you need to chose a crop point......and wider on the bottom may have introduced other unwanted elements. I think you handled this well overall.

Robert Amoruso
05-05-2011, 09:57 AM
I am trying a browser crop on this Andrew and am liking 1/2 of the reflection cropped out. Do agree with Roman on the tree above the rock - my eye goes right to it each time I look.

Dave Mills
05-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Hi Andrew, coming late to the party but I agree on the 2 key points regarding the small white tree and the strengthening of the image with half the reflection cropped out...

Andrew McLachlan
05-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the comments folks. I will evict the tree and play around with crop suggestions for an alternate version. Very much appreciated!