PDA

View Full Version : Short eared owl over grassland

Grace Scalzo
03-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Image captured on March 22, 2008 at the Calverton Enterprise Park on Long Island where four short eared owls have wintered. Despite a planned indoor ski hill (Yes, you read it right) on this property, a coaltion is working hard to save some of it for these and other endangered species living there. I have made it my project over the last two months to photograph them as often as possible.

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

1/1000, f7.1, ISO400
1Dmk2n, 500 + 1.4tc + tripod, incident metered

Robert O'Toole
03-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Nice sharp well exposed image. Beautiful bird Grace. The background information is great, thanks for sharing.

Wish the close wing tip was flipped more upwards to match the far wing.

Robert

Alfred Forns
03-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi Grace !!! Excellent capture Can only add to move the bird more to the UR corner still leaving lots of room but a tighter crop !!! I like it a lot !!!

Arthur Morris
03-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Nicely done. Agree with Robert on the near-wing, and would suggest a crop from the bottom. I like that your image includes the habitat without the grasses blocking the bird.

later and love and hope to meet you at PFLI in two weeks. artie

Grady Weed
03-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Excellent image here Grace. You already know I think your work is the best. However it is you choose to crop or keep this image, it will be a nice end result. I hope you can help the developers to see common sense. We need a indoor ski hill like we need more cars.

John Cooper
03-25-2008, 08:17 PM
A lovely flight capture grace of this Short-eared owl, and including some of its environment makes a great composition. Well done!!

Raymond Barlow
03-25-2008, 09:23 PM
beautiful shot Grace, best of luck with everything.