PDA

View Full Version : Weeky Theme: Ruby On The Run!

Norm Dulak
05-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Nikon D7000 w/AF-S Nikkor 28-300 mm f/3.5-5.6 vrII lens @ 150mm, hand held
ISO Equivalent 400; f/7.1, 1/1,000sec; uncompensated Matrix Metering
PP: PS CS5 levels, curves and SH (to try to diminish the effects of the harsh sun), and modest crop
PPP: PS CS5 watercolor filter w/fairly strong crosshatch brush stroke

In this image I present Ruby, a fawn Doberman Pinscher puppy aged 10 months who is the latest in a series of rescue dobies that Linda and I have welcomed into our home. Here, Ruby is shown doing what she loves most -- running in our pasture to retrieve balls.

My decision as to which post-processing techniques I would use for this weekly theme was really based upon two primary considerations. First, Ruby attacks life and everything she does with intensity and gusto. Her eyes demonstrate this. Secondly, Ruby carries out the Doberman tradition of being very, very fast! Her ears were never cropped to make them stand up. But they do so here because of her speed and enthusiasm.

To capture these attributes of Ruby, I wanted something that a paint brush artist might produce to capture the essence of Ruby. So this is my image of Ruby for you.

Norm

denise ippolito
05-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Norm, I liking this creative side of you:S3:. Ruby sure looks happy! The filtering is done well and I think you captured a great moment w/ the ears standing up and the eyes looking so intense. I do wish for more softer light but you handled it well.

Andrew McLachlan
05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Nice capture Norm. I love the running pose with the ears up in the air.

Indranil Sircar
05-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Wonderful capture, Norm. Ruby surely has the passion and aggression of Doberman. Nicely processed.

Christopher Miller
05-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Nice action shot, Norm. She definitely looks to be having fun! Love her expression and the painterly treatment looks great.

Julie Kenward
05-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Norm, Ruby is a beauty! I agree with Denise that the entire image feels a little overly bright. You might look at doing a dark vignette or filter/render/lighting effects treatment to put the energy around Ruby and the let the rest of the BG float back from there. Just a thought...

Brendan Dozier
05-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Like the enthusiastic pose and expression you captured with this, Norm. You can see how much vitality, Ruby has. Some good suggestions made to make her shine even more. :S3:

Norm Dulak
05-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Anita Bower
05-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Wonderful! I think you captured her exuberance and joy. The composition and her position convey her energy. Love those ears!!! I like what you did with the bg. Nicely done. Wonderful of you to bring these rescues into your home.