PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Image Authentication System: Compromised

David Gancarz
05-02-2011, 12:01 PM
This is a bit off topic, I suppose, but interesting nonetheless. See this (http://blog.crackpassword.com/2011/04/nikon-image-authentication-system-compromised/) post in which Nikon's Image Authentication security suite has been cracked. As an aside, it is interesting to note that Nikon stores the Image Authentication digital signatures in their XIF MakerNote tag 0×0097 (Color Balance). That would explain why non-Nikon software is unable to read color balance info. The article also notes that Canon's image authentication scheme is flawed and was so-reported a year and a half ago.

David Gancarz
05-02-2011, 02:59 PM
so-reported a year and a half ago.

Correction - Canon flaw was reported November 2010 (half a year ago).

Colin Chisholm
05-02-2011, 07:23 PM
This is a bit off topic, I suppose, but interesting nonetheless. See this (http://blog.crackpassword.com/2011/04/nikon-image-authentication-system-compromised/) post in which Nikon's Image Authentication security suite has been cracked. As an aside, it is interesting to note that Nikon stores the Image Authentication digital signatures in their XIF MakerNote tag 0×0097 (Color Balance). That would explain why non-Nikon software is unable to read color balance info. The article also notes that Canon's image authentication scheme is flawed and was so-reported a year and a half ago.

Well this is disappointing ... now the question is do I gain anything (performance...) by turning image authentication off in my D300s?

I guess if anyone really cares about image authentication they will need an alternative. I suppose the write-once SD cards could be considered, but I don't know that that helps ... how would you prove the camera wrote the file??

-Colin

John Chardine
05-11-2011, 05:59 AM
David and Colin- Apart from law enforcement and chain of custody purposes why would one want/need to use image authentication? Copyright?

David Gancarz
05-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Apart from LE/forensics, no, I don't see any particular use. Like I said, it is a bit off-topic for BPN.