PDA

View Full Version : The Nomad

Shreyas Mantri
05-02-2011, 10:19 AM
My first post here!
From a recent trip to my hometown, Udaipur (India).

Produced this using the NIK plugins, totally hooked on to their capabilities :S3:

Canon 24-105mm, @ 40mm, f/4.0, 1/250s, ISO 100, harsh sunlight
Comments welcome!

denise ippolito
05-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Shreyas, Big welcome to OOTB. I really like the Nik programs too. This is very cool with the camel hump right at the man's head. His face has so much character. I like the use of color to draw attention to his face and turban. I do wish the lighting was a bit less harsh but you did a great job taming it.:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
05-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Shreyas, you captured a nice scene here and I really like how you processed the image. Agree with Denise on the lighting, but nicely handled also. I do wish that the camel's head was turned a little more toward us, but this is still very nice. :S3:

Brendan Dozier
05-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Very nice cultural scene capture, Shreyas. Your creative use of color works well with this image. I just learned from this forum recently that sepia and B&W images often work better with harsher light images, so your choice to limit the color makes sense. It also provides a nice contrast between the nomad, full of color & character and his often barren, dry environment. Nicely done! :S3:

Christopher Miller
05-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Welcome to OOTB, Shreyas! This is a great scene and nice eye contact. I love your use of sepia toning leaving the man's head and turban in color. Very nicely done!

Paul Lagasi
05-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Very nice scene, I like the black and white, camel and wall, and the lovely face color and turban...very well done, Welcome to OOTB...agree about head turn on camel

Shreyas Mantri
05-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks all for the comments.
Indeed looks like the solution for harsh light sometimes is converting the image into sepia. With which, the sepia was not doing justice to the strong character of the man's face and turban with it, hence the color. I used HDR on just the face to bring out the skin tone and the details. Glad you all like it!

Shreyas

Kerry Perkins
05-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Shreyas, big warm welcome and thanks for sharing a great first post! I really like the use of selective color and the sepia toning to hold down the contrast. Very good thinking for OOTB! I actually like the way the camel is looking away, which adds even more contrast between it and the man. We have eye contact with the man, but the camel couldn't care less about a picture and is showing it. :c3: I look forward to seeing more of your images.