PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Woodruff

Anita Bower
05-02-2011, 05:01 AM
I am enjoying trying low angles for some photos of small plants.

I need some help with this image. I posted it on my blog and received this comment: "An image that makes me instinctively reach for the gamma slider to reveal what is really there." I'm not sure what this comment means. Hopefully someone here can explain it and what the problem is with the image.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f 3.8, ISO 640, 1/500, focus with Live View, tripod.

PP: PS7: levels, green brush in a light area, selective high pass, minor crop from left, DeNoise.

Thanks!

Julie Kenward
05-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Anita, the gamma slider is the middle slider on the exposure adjustment in PS. The gamma kind of pulls back the milkyness or fog/glare on an image. I can see why he might say that here but I think he's wrong in this case - I like the softness of the overall image. You can try it and see what it does but I'd leave it alone - it's a beautiful springtime image. :w3

Anita Bower
05-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Anita, the gamma slider is the middle slider on the exposure adjustment in PS. The gamma kind of pulls back the milkyness or fog/glare on an image. I can see why he might say that here but I think he's wrong in this case - I like the softness of the overall image. You can try it and see what it does but I'd leave it alone - it's a beautiful springtime image. :w3

So, it is the middle slider on Levels adjustment? I just played with it to experiment. I, too, like the softness, part of which is out-of-focus leaves. Thanks!!!

Julie Kenward
05-02-2011, 10:56 AM
I think those two are equal but I also think you get a different result from the two. The one in levels seems to be a bit softer of an adjustment whereas the one in the exposure adjustment really sets a heavy hand on the image.

Roman Kurywczak
05-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Hey Anita,
I wouldn't touch the softness on this.....as that is what is so appealing about it. I may be tempted to remove 1/4 inch off the bottom.....and add it to the top so the tip of the leaf wasn't so close. My major tweak suggestion.....is to remove the 2 petals on the left going out.......that tweak would put this over the top for me and really make this shine!

Anita Bower
05-02-2011, 04:32 PM
I think those two are equal but I also think you get a different result from the two. The one in levels seems to be a bit softer of an adjustment whereas the one in the exposure adjustment really sets a heavy hand on the image.

Jules: My confusion was caused, once again, by my still using PS&, which does not have an exposure slider. I believe that came in with CS2. Elements 7, which I also use doesn't have it either. I can use the slider in the RAW converter. As always, thanks for your explanation!

Mitch Haimov
05-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Very nice soft image, Anita. I agree with keeping it that way. I would, however, like a thin strip of that lovely bokeh added to the top--that top leaf needs a little breathing room. The two petals exiting mid-left could go, but a minor point to me. I do not agree with cropping from the bottom. :S3:

Anita Bower
05-03-2011, 04:51 AM
THANK YOU ALL for the comments and suggestions. I can always count on this forum to help improve my images and answer my questions.

I added some canvas to the top and cloned out the 2 leaves on the left.

OvidiuCavasdan
05-03-2011, 05:11 AM
Beautiful Anita! Excellent repost. I like the softness and composition. Lovely color.

Jerry van Dijk
05-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi Anita, very good composition and I like the softness and all the shades of green. I may add some sharpness to the flowers though, makes the point of attention really stand out. Repost with added canvas looks much better. Somehow, I miss the cloned out leaves in the repost. I like the cluttered, 'down in the grass' feel with this kind of images.

Mitch Haimov
05-03-2011, 08:52 PM
The repost is a significant improvement on an already very nice image!

Steve Maxson
05-04-2011, 03:21 PM
hi Anita. Here's another vote for the repost - it clears up the two minor issues I had with the OP. Very nicely done.

Roman Kurywczak
05-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Great job on the repost Anita! Love it!!!

Ken Childs
05-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Hey Anita, my comments on the OP would have been the same as Roman's which is why the repost looks perfect, IMHO. Way to go to get out there and go low! :S3:

Michel Pilon
05-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Hello Anita,

Anita, the gamma slider is the middle slider on the exposure adjustment in PS. The gamma kind of pulls back the milkyness or fog/glare on an image. I can see why he might say that here but I think he's wrong in this case - I like the softness of the overall image. You can try it and see what it does but I'd leave it alone - it's a beautiful springtime image.

I fully agree with Julie here: the softness of the image is one of the quality of this picture. You did very well with the repost, adding canva.

Excellent pov, mastering of the exposition and very nice flower :)

Bye and thanks for sharing...

Michel