PDA

View Full Version : Birds of Panama - Rufescent Tiger Heron

Richard Unsworth
05-01-2011, 03:30 PM
:S3:

Captured hunting in a roadside ditch in Gamboa, Canal Zone.
Absolutely refused to look at me :S3:

Personally I really like all the foliage and his cammo is pretty fine!
It's a juvenile of course and he didnt seem at all concerned even with us 6 feet away.
Just about managed to give him virtual legs, though the edge of the ditch did its best to make that hard.

1/160, f8, FL 130, iso 800 Ev -.33, overcast40D, + 100-400 AND 1.4 TC virtually full frame
NR and PP IN PS5

mikedewitt
05-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Nice shot of the bird in habitat.

I wish for a better HA, and the image looks over saturated on my screen.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

Randy Stout
05-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Richard:
I like his camo too, but he still stands out well from background. I do agree it looks significantly oversaturated. I like the raised foot. I appreciate the point about the head angle, but he seems to be so intent on his prey that it still works for me.

Good exposure.

Cheers

Randy

Richard Unsworth
05-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Richard:
I like his camo too, but he still stands out well from background. I do agree it looks significantly oversaturated. I like the raised foot. I appreciate the point about the head angle, but he seems to be so intent on his prey that it still works for me.

Good exposure.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks for the comments

I have been in the forest too long , I like green lol

Saturation reset:S3:

Ignacio Yufera
05-02-2011, 05:46 AM
Great bird to capture. Its colors fit the dead leaves nicely, and the repost suits the soft overcast light much better IMO.

annmpacheco
05-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Hi Richard, I know this bird! I am wondering if you spotted him along the fence near the road that heads out of pipeline rd? I was there 2 weeks ago and spotted him as well I believe. What a juvy bc he could have cared less about the paparazzi that ensued once others and then others caught on to what was lurking about! I like the intensity of your capture. TFS

Stuart Dennis
05-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi Richard
Great to see you posting some of your Panama images (pity I missed you in Gamboa, I heard you had asked after me). I think the repost is an improvement, but still looks a little too saturated for me (could be my eyes or screen). It would also be nice if there was a little separation between bird and background, even though thats almost impossible in a ditch at f8.

I think I will disagree with Ann, I don't think this was near pipeline road. My bet is Kents Marsh - down the hill from Ivans - Close to where the road turn 90deg left. I see RTH (theres at least 3 around there) pretty much every day on my way to or from work. Could be an interesting little competition:t3.

Enjoying your series of Panamanian birds, Im sure there are many many more to come

stu

Richard Unsworth
05-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Hi Anna/Stu

Sorry bird was in fact near Ivans :S3:

Stu - Sorry not to have met; I did see you at a distance one day lol. I also found the wonderful Oropendula nests!

You are right this in that location, actually down the hill and on the right going towards the Rainforest Resort, and we saw the bird there on several occasions though it ran away! With regard to saturation this is really an issue of personal taste unless ridiculously high or low for that matter. I am inclined to like intense colours maybe because its so dreary in the UK! :e3

f 8 is because I have the 1.4 fitted; it would have been better to remove it at the time but of course you might miss the shot!

Panama was great!!! bird photography was really tough and a real challenge though I did pick up 100 + keepers. Every area yielded something new and I will return one day soon. Say a big hello to Ivan when you see him, such a nice guy:S3: we enjoyed staying with him a lot.