PDA

View Full Version : Cylindromyia Fly.

Jim Bridges
05-01-2011, 08:16 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> While I was shooting a green walking stick along side the trail in a small grassland prairie at Brazos Bend SP I turned to my right and saw this little fly letting the dew dry on it in the morning sun. The one I've seen before are about one inch long and this guy was smaller than that. I didn't have to move my tripod more than a foot to setup and make a few photos. This was made with D80 Tamron AF 180/3.5 Macro f11 @1/45s ISO 100 in natural light. PP with NX2. I got the Tamron 180 lens a few weeks ago and this was the first trip in the field with it because of the wind blowing in this area. I'm looking forward to a good summer of shooting with it at the grassland prairie areas in the park.:S3:

Julie Kenward
05-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Nice work, Jim! Wow, you really caught him at a great moment. Nice diagonal pose and really good clarity on the fly. If this were mine I'd consider cloning out the OOF back wing as I don't think you'd miss it at this angle. It would leave your image with a really clear, well focused image. Your call, though!

Kaushik Balakumar
05-02-2011, 03:20 AM
Beautiful, colourful critter this...
The BG is amazing. Kudos !

bhavya joshi
05-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Nice captured.. and Angle.. water drops extra.. Nice macro..Jim.. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
05-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey Jim,
I'm really liking this one. For once.....I don't mind the OOF wings.....as the sharpness is where it needs it! I debated the stem.....might run a bit of shrpness on the lower part where it splits.....but all in all....very nicely done!

Mitch Haimov
05-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Great moment with a superb subject, Jim! Love that bokeh, and the OOF wings don't bother me. Enjoy the new lens.

Steve Maxson
05-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi Jim. This is a very cool looking fly and all those water drops add a lot of interest. Nice light, good exposure, and a great background. Well done.

kostas nianiopoulos
05-03-2011, 11:24 AM
verry good , razor sharp , verry good color and BG , well done .

Jason Stander
07-26-2011, 05:29 AM
Awesome Jim... the drops add alot to the image... love the perch... actually a beautiful fly... killer bg... VVWD!:S3: