PDA

View Full Version : One more sunset...

Don Railton
05-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Hi Guys

Took this September of last year. It's two images stitched together of a Sunset from just down the road. One of the benefits of living on the west Coast I guess. Liked the Clouds from this one so I thought I might pass it on..

50D + 24-70 F2.8 @ 70mm
1/100 sec @ F7.1 on Tripod
Not sure of the other details...

DON

Robert Amoruso
05-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi Don,

I see what attracted you to this scene - the clouds right and middle are dramatic but on the left the sky is lacking drama and I feel that hurts the image somewhat.

I have reposted a new crop with the left cropped out plus some from the bottom. My general personal preference is to minimize wat4er when not using slow shutter speeds to blur it. But i do feel eliminating the left portion of the image helps to balance better by removing the much lighter left section, moving the sun out of the middle and having the leading lines of the dark clouds radiating to a vanishing point (this case the sun) left of the image's vertical center.

Don Railton
05-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the input Robert. I do agree that the repost is significantly better, but I did wonder if in the repost that some of the dark cloud at the top might also be cropped off to futher enhance the image, see attached... Do you think cropping this off has unbalanced the image (dramatic vs calm...?) too much?

DON

Kaushik Balakumar
05-02-2011, 03:35 AM
My oh my, what a dramatic sky !!!
Both reposts look good to me.
The top strip of clouds in Robert's repost 'sort of' frame the rest of the image from the top; and hence I (personally) don't find it putting the image off-balance.

Roman Kurywczak
05-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Hey Don,
I like either repost too.....with my preference for your tighter one. Nice suggestions from Robert for you to keep in mind when out in the field.

dankearl
05-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Nice photo and I like the edit and repost, however, one easy thing to get rid of is the post on the left.
It jumps out at me, I don't know why someone else did not mention it, and easy fix.