PDA

View Full Version : White Ibis in the surf

John Pontier
03-25-2008, 12:04 AM
This is my first post on BPN. I photographed this White Ibis last Friday near my home on Anna Maria Island. I don't do much bird photography but was inspired by the great photos posted on this forum. I welcome any constructive critiques. Thanks!

Nikon D80
70-300mm VR at 180mm
ISO 200
1/1500 sec. at f/8

John Cooper
03-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Welcome to the forum John. i really like this composition of the Ibis foraging for food.
looks a bit bright on my monitor and whites are a bit hot - I will make an adjustment and see if you approve.

John Cooper
03-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Welcome to the forum John. i really like this composition of the Ibis foraging for food.
looks a bit bright on my monitor and whites are a bit hot - I will make an adjustment and see if you approve.

I took the image into PS3 and applied the Shadow/highlight tool - just 15% highlight reduction. Hope you don't mind.

Steve Ashton
03-25-2008, 03:35 AM
Hi John, You have done a great job with this image, nice composition and great sharpness. As you can see the high lights were a bit hot, but with John's bit of photoshop work you have a great Image. My advice is to get your own image into Photoshop and see if you can replicate these changes.

From the angle you seem to have been very close to this Ibis.... wish our birds in the UK were this trusting!!!! Hope to see more of your images.

John Pontier
03-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks John. I did post processing in Lightroom. According to the histogram in Lightroom there should still be detail in the whites but I do like what you have done better. I will tone down the highlights a little and see how it looks.