PDA

View Full Version : The Art of the Documentary Photo

Craig Brelsford
04-30-2011, 04:36 AM
I was a birdwatcher before I became a bird photographer. I take pride, therefore, in my documentary shots. Here, my birding skills and photographic skills came together to create a record of ornithological importance. I was at a spot near Pudong Airport, just a few dozen meters from the East China Sea. Seeing this chestnut-eared bunting half-hidden in the weeds, I couldn't find a match in my mental database; I knew therefore that the species is rare and must be photographed. I had only seconds to make the record. The bird was nervous and in full migratory mode. Auto-focus wasn't finding the bird. I reached around to the front of my D3S and blindly moved the setting to manual. I then turned the focusing wheel until the bunting was in focus and started snapping. The bird flew off in an instant. I had gone to the spot with a team of journalists from the Oriental Morning Post, a Shanghai newspaper. They were interviewing me as part of a series on environmental problems in Shanghai, namely the lack of preserves for migratory birds along the coast. A photo of a rarely seen bird is powerful proof of the importance of the flyway. These images, therefore, though aesthetically unexciting, do nonetheless show the power and usefulness of bird photography.

Device: Nikon D3S
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal Length: 600mm
Aperture: F/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/2000
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +1
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1250
Subject Distance: 11.9 m
Photoshoppery: I decided to take the three most useful shots and present them on a single canvas, with notes to help in identification.

Geoff Warnock
04-30-2011, 06:50 AM
I like this Craig, learning more about birds is all part of the hobby for me. I try to collect representative views of even the common birds, and there are still a lot of empty tick boxes on my list!

Daniel Cadieux
04-30-2011, 07:55 AM
This is a great example of how photography can help - as much as for awareness as for ID purposes. You've done a great job documenting this "rarity" and presenting us how and why. Not so much a "critique" image, but perfect for the "All about birds" forum...hence moved to there:S3:

Craig Brelsford
04-30-2011, 08:27 AM
. . . Not so much a "critique" image, but perfect for the "All about birds" forum...hence moved to there:S3:

Right, Daniel. Good move. I spend so much time on the critique forum, I forget about the others.

Jeff Cashdollar
04-30-2011, 05:04 PM
This is very well done. I viewed the full story via your link as well. I especially like the helpful narrative and presentation marks on the images. I am most grateful for all you do for birds. Often I forget the power of both one person and the art of photography. Thank you for speaking for them and driving efforts to help preserve their homes.

I too, was first a bird watcher before a photographer. Your work inspires me and reminds me of the power the frame. Please continue updating this story regarding the plight of this species and the lack of migration flyways in your area.

Craig - if you have any tips or other helpful documentation to assist us in creating narrative on images - please post - thanks.