PDA

View Full Version : Birds of Panama - Three Wattled Bellbird

Richard Unsworth
04-29-2011, 11:33 AM
:S3:

Hi all, just back from 3 months in Panama, many pics to edit as you can imagine!

This amazing bird captured at Finca Lerida, Boquete, Western Panama close to the Costa Rican border. These are altitude migrants , and we were lucky to be around in the nesting season in this location. Their calls are often heard but they are seldom photographed.

ISO 1250, 1/640, eV +1.33, AV mode, handheld
Canon 40D 100-400 +1.4 at 520

NR in Topaz 5, levels in PS5, USM in PS5 andon the final jpeg

All comments welcome,as hiding canopy birds these are very difficult birds to shoot and I need advice getting the best PP on these shots

Mikko Viljamaa
04-29-2011, 12:39 PM
That's one huge mouth this fellow has... You are right about the canopy and I'm sure you worked hard enough already to create this one. The biggest distraction to me are the hanging twigs behind the birds head and the brownish area in the upper left corner. I would also apply little more NR to the vegetation in the foreground.

Mikko

Richard Unsworth
04-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Hi Mikko, many thanks for feedback

OK removed branches using CA
More NR to the foreground

Great of you to comment; actually I had removed items but couldnt decide on which to post
I need to have these pics done correctly; they are hard to get, so all advice is welcome.
I in fact have a fair number.
Listen to his call on the Internet you will be amazed.

Allen Hirsch
04-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Nice job on the repost, Richard.

What an odd looking bird. What purpose do the wattles serve?

Richard Unsworth
04-29-2011, 02:41 PM

Hi Allen

Thanks for posting

From what I read they appear to be used in courtship, and will be shaken silently at visiting birds.
However these are present only in the male, and will be shaken at them too!
I have seen a few pics where they stand out erectly which loo:S3:ks amazing.
The displays and calls are pretty awesome; at one area we had 6 or more calling; they also rotate and jump after calling!

mikedewitt
04-29-2011, 07:50 PM
I'll give you credit for finding and photographing this bird. As you state, they are often heard but rarely seen.

I had the good fortune to find and photograph this species at Finca Lerida in March of 2010. Also photographed the Resplendent Quetzel not 50 Meters from where I found the Three Wattled Bellbird. A good day for sure.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Panama.

Richard Unsworth
04-30-2011, 01:18 AM

Hi Mike

Thanks; are your photos viewable somewhere?

Interesting as I also got the Quetzal female and juv male in the same place at Lerida; I then got 5 Emerald Toucanets in the same tree! The tree is aparently a type of small Avacado.

Panama has been great at times but very challenging as you might expect.
Best Quetzals were actually up at Los Quetzales Lodge Cabins, just inside Amistad NP, Cerro Punta
where no less than 3 males and 2 females:2eyes2:appeared in the same tree :2eyes2:

mikedewitt
04-30-2011, 07:33 AM
@ Richard - I just moved my photo albums to another hosting provider - this link should work:

http://poordogphotography.com/p47197307

We were only in Boquete for three days. I really wanted to visit Los Quetzales as well, but we ran out of time. I'd love to get back there someday.

RE: Panama great but challenging... yes! The light is always sketchy at best under the canopy. I was shooting a Canon 50D at the time and many of my images suffered greatly from noise.

I see you were in country for three months. Where else did you visit?

Mike

Richard Unsworth
04-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Hey nice Quetzal there Mike! and site is nice:S3:

Well, we visited the Chiriqui area for 6 weeks, Boquete, Volcan (and lagoons), Guadolupe (Los Quetzales), Cerro Punta (Cielito Sur - great birding B&B, Gamboa -Ivans, Cerro Azul, including Cerro Jeffe and the Audobon triai, The Pearl Islans -Contadora, great for Frigate birds. Metro Park and many more. Great trails, great birds, great people.

Go again? **** yes!

I was using 40D with 100-400 + 1.4 so light was an issue glad I had tripod with me, though a lot of shots handheld

Rich

mikedewitt
04-30-2011, 09:12 AM
That's quite the itinerary! We only had ten days total, which we divided up between Boquete, Bocas del Toro, and Gamboa. I could have spent many more days near Gamboa without becoming bored.

Lens: 100-400 + 1.4x = manual focus? Well done! I shoot the 400DO + 1.4x handheld usually, unless I'm in a hide, then on a tripod.

Mike