PDA

View Full Version : Brown Thornbill

Glenn Ehmke
03-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I saw a group of these little guys (and girls) in sub-alpine snow-gum woodland in the Victorian high plains. These birds are naturally inquisitive, and will often hop up on a perch to check you out. This one was a little backlit, but i like the pose.

Any improvement tips greastly appreciated.

Canon EOS 30D, EF400mm f/4 DO IS USM @ 400.0 mm, Tv 1/320, Av F5.6, Evaluative metering EC=0, ISO 320, Manual Focus, handheld.

John Cooper
03-25-2008, 12:02 AM
One of my favourite bush birds Glenn. Good detail in the Thornbill but IMO a crop would strengthen the composition. Cropping a little from the right up to the base of the perch and clone out the remaining stark white patch. Some cropping from the left would then be necessary to balance the composition.

John Cooper
03-25-2008, 12:06 AM
One of my favourite bush birds Glenn. Good detail in the Thornbill but IMO a crop would strengthen the composition. Cropping a little from the right up to the base of the perch and clone out the remaining stark white patch. Some cropping from the left would then be necessary to balance the composition.

I have posted a cropped version with some adjustment to black and white point in Levels.
What do you think?

Glenn Ehmke
03-25-2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks John, I like that idea.

I certianly agree about getting rid of the white streak on the left. I've gone for a similar crop to yours, but kept a bit more space on the RH side so the bit of lichen wasn't pressed up against the edge - and took a bit more off the bottom to make the image less square (I like this image with a distinct landscape orientation).

Also cloned out that other spot in the top left.

Thanks for the comments - I'm much happier with this now!

Cheers,

Glenn

John Cooper
03-25-2008, 02:07 AM
Thanks John, I like that idea.

I certianly agree about getting rid of the white streak on the left. I've gone for a similar crop to yours, but kept a bit more space on the RH side so the bit of lichen wasn't pressed up against the edge - and took a bit more off the bottom to make the image less square (I like this image with a distinct landscape orientation).

Also cloned out that other spot in the top left.

Thanks for the comments - I'm much happier with this now!

Cheers,

Glenn

Yes Glenn this looks much better - well done!!

Simon Bennett
03-25-2008, 03:20 AM
Great job in getting him sharp with manual focus, these things really bounce around.

Gus Cobos
03-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Ver nice composition on the repost Glenn. Love the colors and the details on your subject.

Congrats...:D

Glenn Ehmke
03-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the comments. P.S. I have about 50 out of focus shots to go along with the 4 I managed to get sharp Simon...