PDA

View Full Version : Swallow in flight

Austin Thomas
04-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi all, here is the first of a mini project focussing on Swallows.

I took my first ever image of a Swallow in flight last year.

That image can be seen HERE (http://www.austin-thomas.co.uk/blog/?p=255) for those interested.

Since then I have been waiting for them to return to try and improve and add to my collection. I saw my first Swallow this year at the beginning of April but it was the Easter weekend when I had a chance to photograph them. The promised light didn’t quite materialise when this picture was taken, so trying to get a suitable shutter speed and enough depth of field for two birds was always going to be a challenge.

More from project “Swallows in flight” as soon as the light is kind to me.

Canon 1dMK4, 800mm, f8. 1/1250 ISO1250

Cheers

Austin

Jim Crosswell
04-28-2011, 06:54 PM
I like the wing position and open beak of the swallow in flight. I like the composition as well. Well done!

Daniel Cadieux
04-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Nice interaction, love the BG, and the comp looks alright. The pose on the flying bird is good, but the perched one needed a better HA - and the displaced feather is a bit distracting.

Good project you've given yourself...looking forward to more!

annmpacheco
04-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Keep em coming please. This is a wonderful start to your project. With better lighting who knows what'll happen. I'd love to see more. This image really shows drop dead action and I like it. TFS

Grace Scalzo
04-28-2011, 09:15 PM
I love this, Austin. Great story here, in fact, I think that the head angle of the perched bird adds to it, he (or she) is turning away from the chirping one. Sure look forward to more! What kind of swallows are these? THey are beautiful and your background is lovely.

Stu Bowie
04-29-2011, 04:04 AM
Not an easy feat here Austin, but you have pulled this off nicely. Well timed to get the open beak, and your comp is balanced nicely. Good luck with the weather. :w3

Greg Basco
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Austin, good work on this. Others have mentioned a couple of nits, but I think the strong composition still makes this a successful image.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Dumay de Boulle
04-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Very well captured and great BG...I too wish you better conditions and love to see the results then