PDA

View Full Version : Zerynthia polyxena

Adrian David
04-28-2011, 03:17 PM
I've never seen this species before! It seems that it is an endangered species here in Europe,
already in the "red book of European butterflies".Not the best photo...but I was lucky to see
and photograph one of this rare butterflies.

Model = NIKON D300
Exposure Time = 1/1250"
F Number = F5
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Exposure Bias Value = +0.67EV
Max Aperture Value = F2.83
Metering Mode = Pattern
Flash = Off
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 75mm
Lens = Tamron 17.0-50.0 mm f/2.8
HH, late in the afternoon.

Mitch Haimov
04-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Excellent sharpness on a subject in very fine condition, Adrian! Aperture = f/5? Really? Seems like too much DOF for that. Although the light isn't terribly harsh, the shadows are a little distracting. Where's an assistant with a diffuser when you need one? :bg3: A little extra PP work to help differentiate the eyes from the head might be a good investment. A fine effort.

Andrew McLachlan
04-28-2011, 09:49 PM
A beautiful specimen, with wings in perfect condition too! I like this one as presented, but may also be inclined to crop a little off the top. Nice capture!

Kaushik Balakumar
04-29-2011, 03:07 AM
This is an absolutely beautiful critter. The top edges of the wings look a tad soft but nevertheless, congrats on this fine capture, Adrian.

Randy Stout
04-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Adrian:

Remarkable job of keeping your focus plane parallel to the butterfly, esp. at that f stop.
A little flash might have helped fill in the darker shadows.

The subject was in prime condition.

Cheers

Randy

bhavya joshi
04-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Yes.. Beautiful butterfly.. Adrian.. nice details and texture and sharp wings,
Nice captured.. I happy that, you captured a Rare..species..:S3:

Brendan Dozier
04-29-2011, 03:51 PM
That is an amazing looking butterfly and image, Adrian. Wonderful markings and color. Good suggestions made, but very nice work! :S3:

Adrian David
04-30-2011, 03:59 AM
Thank you for the comments!
I didn't have the time to change my lens , to the macro one, or get the flash....I was making landscapes at that time, and there was a very short time period when the butterfly stood still, so that's all that I could get...I hope that this will not be my only encounter with this beautiful species...

Steve Maxson
04-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi Adrian. The butterfly looks great! The lighting on the flower is not the best, but this is a strong image nevertheless. I like Andrew's suggestion of a crop off the top which would reduce the mixed-light distractions of the flower and focus our attention more on the butterfly.

Roman Kurywczak
05-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey Adrian,
Agree with the above assesments.....but given the situation......you did an excellent job overall. I hope you get more opportunities with these beauties!