PDA

View Full Version : Another Congaree Bald Cypress

David Kennedy
03-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Canon 5D & 70-200mm f/4L @ 200mm, exposed 1/125 sec. at f/4, ISO 500

Another image from Congaree National Park (near Columbia, S.C.). All comments welcome!

gary rouleau
03-24-2008, 10:00 PM
My god what a reflection -which way is up? Great job cropping, I like the way you left more FG in the shot.

gary

David Kennedy
03-24-2008, 10:18 PM
My god what a reflection -which way is up? Great job cropping, I like the way you left more FG in the shot.

gary

Gary,
Nothing crazy--what's up is up, down is down :D And thank you. I am curious what you and others think about the (reflected) stick in the lower LH corner. I'm wondering if I should eliminate it....

gary rouleau
03-24-2008, 10:29 PM
David,
I kind of figured the up - down. Yea the stick is a bit of a problem but really doesn't take anything away from this great shot. I might increase the hue/saturation on the saturation side a little more to pull more colour in to the photo. Or try lab color (soft light lab B about 90%).

gary

David Kennedy
03-25-2008, 12:08 AM
David,
I kind of figured the up - down. Yea the stick is a bit of a problem but really doesn't take anything away from this great shot. I might increase the hue/saturation on the saturation side a little more to pull more colour in to the photo. Or try lab color (soft light lab B about 90%).

gary

Gary,
FWIW, you just inspired me to order Dan Margulis' book, Photoshop LAB Color, because try as I might I don't understand your recommendation :) It's good--I've been meaning to learn about LAB for a while but finally have a motivation that pushed me off of the fence.

I've worked on the image a touch and removed the offending reflected stick and bumped the saturation globally by 12% which may be a bit too much.

Robert Amoruso
03-25-2008, 08:15 AM
David,

Very, very graphic almost to the point of sensory overload. The stick reflection mimics the stick above water on the upper right. I like the saturation.

gary rouleau
03-25-2008, 01:15 PM
David
That is super! I signed up for Scott Kelby's online course. He has a great section on lab colour. What stick?

gary