PDA

View Full Version : Lord Howe Woodhen

Meint Sijp
01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
This shot was take in 2004. It was one of the most endagered brds at the time in the 80, i think, it only lives on Lord Howe Island, aboot 720 KM North East of Sydney Australia.
But due to a speciel rescue program this bird is comming back.
It is wild but sitting still and making funny noises it would come up picking my shoe or camera linse to see if it could be eaten.

Canon 10D, 1/500, F5,6, ISO 400, 70-200L2.8 + 1,4 TC @210mm

At the time i had no teknical skils so recon most my shots where (P):( Idid crop the photo and make some light, darken the grass in front and sharpening plus contrast.

regards meint sijp

Jim Neiger
01-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi Meint,

It's cool to see such an unusual bird. Thanks for posting it. I like the close up look and all the feather details. The lighting, and bright fg/bg are less than ideal.

Fabs Forns
01-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Very interesting read, glad they are doing something positive about the species.

I would like to have more room around him, though :)

Lana Hays
01-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Hello, Meint
I like closeups as well as images with more room. For a bird this rare I'd be pleased with either. Is your posted image in Adobe RGB or sRGB. I had downloaded a copy to try a closer crop and noticed how much more brighter and colorful it was...but I converted it to sRGB first in CS3. It can make a difference in the appearance of your images on the web.

Mike Wilson
01-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Great closeup image here. Love to see what other people can do with shy birds and 210mm, it's inspiring! Hope to see more.

RoxanaRosell
01-04-2008, 01:06 PM
What a beautiful bird and I love the head angle which makes for an inquisitive look. Great to here that the conservation efforts are paying off :)

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-04-2008, 05:39 PM
The rarity of this image makes me forget about the tightness.
Superb shot of this endemic.
Szimi

Meint Sijp
01-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the comments every one i chose to crop it in this way from the original cause i liked the close up much better, but i have another shot with more room just totally different. Lana since i¨m not a greate PS worker still learning i got tolled that the best is to shoot and work in RGB but i have no clue on the differences and a million other thing in PS, its like a jungle.

Regards meint