PDA

View Full Version : Toruk Makto

Kaushik Balakumar
04-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Head on close-up of a orchid. This view reminded me of 'Toruk Makto' of Avatar.

The petals were back-lit using modeling lamps.
The front bit was light painted with a torch.

Techs:
Nikon D300, Tamron 180mm, tripod
f/40, 4s, ISO200

Critiques most welcome...

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Hey Kaushik,
I really like the softness of the BG petals. The lighting works very well also. Originally.....I thought the comp was too centered for my tastes......but I do feel it works in this case very well. Sharp where it really needs it.......so this works all around for me. As always......because I use bpn light for the style.....I would go with a black border......but I can tell where the edges are here.......just something to keep in mind. Very nicely done overall!

Steve Maxson
04-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Hi Kaushik. I'm in agreement with Roman. Good sharpness on the center section with a pleasing softness in the surrounding petals. Very effective use of light and the centered comp works well. Very well done.

Brendan Dozier
04-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Really like the glowing light and composition of this, Kaushik. The soft petals provide a nice frame and contrast to the beautiful orange colored inner structure. Well done! :5

Julie Kenward
05-01-2011, 09:06 PM
It's absolutely gorgeous, Kashik. I think it's probably one of the best head-on orchid images we've had on BPN. The lighting is beautiful and the detail from front to back is great. You really found the beauty of this flower and brought it out even more.

Kaushik Balakumar
05-02-2011, 03:22 AM
Thank you all for your time and kind views.