PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Common Redpoll (female).

Daniel Cadieux
04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
With two dozen redpolls STILL frequenting my feeders it is about time I do a setup and photograph them from the comfort of my backyard (I've photographed them elsewhere around town this winter).

The perch was selected specifically for this, and taken from a local forest area. The yard itself is small, and with fencing all around getting a proper background is a limited option. What you see here is the perch (and feeder) set up in front of a three foot gap in the fence where a gate used to be, and the green background actually being an out-of-focus soccer field. Amazing how a small busy suburban backyard can be made to look like it was taken in the wild :-)

Canon 30D + 100-400L @400mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/320s., f/7.1, ISO 800 (settings histogram checked and +1.3 over metered value), natural light, handheld.

Randy Stout
04-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Daniel:
Interesting perch, with character,without being too big or overpowering for the bird.

Inquisitive pose, but I might like the head a little more away from us to show the bill better, which gets lost a bit here.

Well exposed, sharp, nice job working your setup to get the excellent BG.

Cheers

Randy

Saw my first rose breasted grosbeak on the feeder tonight, so will have to get my setup out for my house too!

Stu Bowie
04-27-2011, 01:40 AM
Dan, thanks for sharing your set up. Well thought out to get a clear BG, and an interesting perch. Good inquisitive pose from the little guy, and if anything, I would maybe darken the BG a tad.

Dumay de Boulle
04-27-2011, 03:36 AM
Lovely detail and BG...Good thought went in and a good result. Perch really adds to he overall image with the lichen showing nicely.

RakeshDhareshwar
04-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Brilliant expo and colours here . the perch is good. Wish the HA was a bit better .

Ofer Levy
04-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Very nice shot. I have no problem with HA. Since this is a setup I would suggest using some fill flash to bring out the colours as light wasn't great.

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Very nice perch Daniel! I agree on a bit of fill.....but still a very nice capture!

Jim Crosswell
04-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Nice image Daniel! I like the details, sharpness and perch.