PDA

View Full Version : Slow summer sunset

Gary Esman
04-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Hello, thought I would try to get better at landscapes. I shoot mostly Avian so do appreciate any critiques:S3:

50D, 1/40, AV priority, f/9, iso 160, EF 24/70 2.8, tripod.

Thanks for looking!

Gary

Kaushik Balakumar
04-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Really loved the sky & the colours in this image.
IMHO, the left half of the image (owing to the dark clouds) is not offering much to the image.
When cropped, the right half on its own seems like another alternative option.

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Hey Gary,
I agree with Kaushik's assesment but I do have a few options for you. First.....in PP'ing....seee if you can eek out any more detail in that sky. I think if yo umask out the lighter blue area......and tweak the darker ones.......that should help quite a bit. Any detail you bring out in the sky will just help this one go up a few notches.
In the field.....you had a tripod.....that's great news.....so now....going for a much slower SS.....that would help smooth out the water and give you some nicer color in there......just something to keep in mind when you are out there. Easy to bracket with the SS.....raising the f-stop.....dumping ISO.....just so you get a better idea on what will look best for you. Keep in mind that if hte clouds are moving fast.....that slower SS will affect them also! Trying this out will give you a better understanding for the future the more you do landscapes.
I do believe if you bring out more detail in the sky.....that will take this up a notch or 2!

Robert Amoruso
04-28-2011, 08:39 AM
I agree with Roman, and anyone that watches my comments on this forum will know I will recommend slow shutter speeds and soft look to the water.

Gary Esman
04-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks Kaushik, Roman and Robert! I will slow the shutter speed and smooth the water. It is nice to have a starter image to work with. Appreciate your time!

Gary.