PDA

View Full Version : The Crooked River

dankearl
04-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Another image from Smith Rock, a little known (except for rock climbers) State Park in Oregon.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_5365.jpg

1/6
f8
iso 200
10mm
Grad ND over CP

Roman Kurywczak
04-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Hey Dan,
You had a tough one here. I see the telltale signs of split ND as it darkened the tops a bit too much......I'll get into a trick for using it in such situations in a bit.
I think here the exposure was the problem. The white clouds and where they were in the frame made it difficult or nearly impossible to get this (even with the split) in one frame. I believe an exposure blend would have been the best choice....one fo rthe FG and one for the sky. That being said.....I'm not the biggest fan of th etree on the right not the FG of the road. I would have preferred just the river and the mountains if it was possible to move left....and even include the road and fence if it wasn't possible to get a clean line.
You don't mention tripod.....and I am bringing it up because I often like to do longer exposure times in these type of situations......so that I can move my grad ND filter up and down to further minimize the gradation line. It still may have not worked in this case because of the irregularity in the mountains......but it would have been the only viable in camera option that I see.

Dave Mills
04-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Hi Dan, Great advice by Roman. Please excuse the quick PS work but I thought I would eliminate the sky problem and lighten the rt side to give you some ideas..

Kaushik Balakumar
04-27-2011, 01:16 AM
This is indeed a lovely scene, Dan.
Some nice tips there by Roman & Dave. I tried an alternate crop.

Robert Amoruso
04-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Dan,

Good comments above that I agree with.

Andrew McLachlan
05-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi Dan, this scene has lots of potential. I agree with the above comments. I do like the road and the cedar rail fence. If it were mine I think I would try to clean-up the dead trees in the foreground so that they do not intrude on the road.