PDA

View Full Version : Mating Gulls

AJ Witt
04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Captured this past weekend up here near Jacksonville. This was my first time there and I wasn't too sure how close I would be able to get. So I went out with the 500 f/4 with 1.4tc on a crop body. I was getting hit by the waves as it was, so backing up wasn't an option. Next time I'll go without the tc.
Even with the wings clipped, I'm thinking this shot works because it's all about the action and facial expressions of the two birds. I know ideally I wouldn't want the two birds in the background in the shot, but there were so many birds around this was the cleanest shot I could get.
Would be interested in hearing other opionions.
Nikon D300 w/ 500 f/4
f/ 5.6 @ 1/1600 sec @ ISO 200
This is the full frame shot.

Daniel Cadieux
04-26-2011, 08:26 PM
What?? A levitating mating image?!? This gal has some serious tricks up her sleeve:S3:

Tough to fit the wings as you mention, but at least they are more "cut" than "clipped". I love the action, but yes, too bad about the OOF gulls. There are some clone marks to clean up, and even though the whites are not clipped on the male I'd look into toning them down a bit.

denise ippolito
04-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Awesome action captured. I like the angle of capture. Dan makes some great points. Another vote to tone down some of the whites.:S3:

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Hey AJ,
I'm actually thinking I may prefer this with the entire wings.....even with the OOF birds in the BG......at least it gives the sense of place! Not always easy when you have a ton of them around!!! In air mating is way cool though! Happy hunting!