PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping

wendell westfall
04-25-2011, 11:51 AM
D70s 70-300@200 1/1600 f5.6 ISO500 0EV handheld

This picture was taken a long time ago, and I believe I've posted it before. Since then I have got a new camera and a much better lens (D90 70-200VR), but I dropped the lens (ouch!!!) two weeks ago and have nothing good and new to post. I sure hope Nikon gets the lens back to me soon. Anyway, I would really appreciate some criticism of this image, since after cropping it pano and adjusting it a bit I'm thinking of framing it. Don't know it's worth it. I'm sure it could be improved. Thanks.

Wendell

Kerry Perkins
04-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi Wendell, very cute collection of sleeping peeps. I like what you did with the pano crop and the reflection. My eye has a hard time making out the scale of the little mud flat there - it almost looks like there is a giant rock way off in the distance. Would be nice if the birds were all facing the same direction. The image has a very strong green cast, which makes the water look unnatural. I suggest that you go back to the raw file and take a close look at the color balance.

wendell westfall
04-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks, Kerry. I see now the color is off -- it does look better bluer . . .

Julie Kenward
04-26-2011, 04:44 PM
It's certainly a cute group of birds! One thing I wonder about is how many white specs there are on the mudflat...I'm wondering if those won't be a pain when you go to print. Otherwise, I'd fix the color and give it a go!

wendell westfall
04-26-2011, 08:20 PM
. . . and thanks for your critique, Julie; I'm becoming less enamored of this image.

Paul Guris
04-27-2011, 12:43 PM
I agree about the greenish color needing a bit of tweaking, but have no problem with the peak on the mud flat or the little white spots, though I'd also have no problem if you wiped them out or toned them down. I do love the group reflection.

One thing you might try is to crop it down to just the 15 rightmost birds (13 dowitchers and 2 peeps, though one is hiding). This gives you the most bird separation and best reflections, and gets rid of the messiest grouping of birds.

wendell westfall
04-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Paul, 'preciate your input. I may try your suggestion. Or, better yet, perhaps I should look for another such "lineup". And if I find one I will post it -- I like these kinds of group pictures.

Kerry Perkins
04-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Wendell, I like these too and have some pelicans that I might post. Don't be discouraged by this one, I'm sure you have others!