PDA

View Full Version : Epiphyllum

Maureen Allen
04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
I haven't been been able to do much photography lately but noticed the other night that many of my epiphyllums (orchid cactus) have decided to bloom. I couldn't resist! This is a one that was just beginning to open on Saturday evening.

2 flashes - one behind, the other above and slightly to the right of the flower. Topaz adjust, topaz denoise. I actually had to tone down the colors a bit - these flowers are very vibrant and beautiful.

Mark Fuge
04-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Nice image and applications, Maureen.

I like the colors and backlight.

If you have PS, I might have used Image/Selective Color to bring out the image a little more, while not boosting the vibrance excessively. Additionally, a light touch of Brush Strokes/Accent Edges would have helped define the image a little. I also might have added a little to the top and bottom of the image and removed the small stamen on the right border center.

But as they say ... Y I ... Y V. :w3

Scott Vincent
04-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Maureen, what a beautiful flower. Just today I was looking at my Amaryllis that I overwintered and now is at peak bloom - I too was thinking that if I had time the flower would be a good candidate for this week's theme.

Maybe just a tad more room on the bottom. Beautiful colors and very interesting stamen and stigma.

denise ippolito
04-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Maureen, All good suggestions above. I like the colors and I think this is a pretty cool looking flower.:S3:

Maureen Allen
04-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks, all. Appreciate the comments!

Julie Kenward
04-25-2011, 07:46 PM
What an intensely colored image! What impact! I also think a tiny bit more room on the bottom and the eviction of the one stamen on the right side of the frame will help. I'm wavering back and forth on the bright white center - but I do like how you angled this and got that area in the bottom ROT's area.

Brendan Dozier
04-26-2011, 02:08 AM
What a very cool looking flower, Maureen. Good job with the flash to bring out the detail, and vibrant, color. Has a nice glow to it. Some good suggestions above to make an even stronger image. Nicely done! :S3:

Anita Bower
04-26-2011, 04:16 AM
This image takes me into another world--one that seems unreal but is beautiful. Wonderful composition--I'm mesmerized by the source of those lines and the curves. Great use of lighting.

Maureen Allen
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks Jules, Brendan and Anita. Your comments are most appreciated!

Brendan Dozier
04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Forgot to mention, that the white pistols and anthers almost look like sea coral. This almost feels like it could be underwater!

Maureen Allen
04-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Really funny you should say that, Brendan. I thought that too. Here's the underwater version :S3:

Judy Howle
04-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Both are very colorful and excellent processing!