http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_5409-1.jpg

1/40
f8
iso200
10mm
Grad ND Filter over CP filter

Nick Palmieri
04-25-2011, 06:19 AM
I like the composition and the exposure looks good. I may remove some of the sky. I like the fence (some may not) but the fact that it runs from one edge of the frame to the other and sort of points to the mountains, in my opinion, strengthens the image. I may consider going a little lower to eliminate some mid ground...Overall nice job! TFS

Robert Amoruso
04-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Dan,

You are on the right track with the composition but I think some additional moving around was needed to better balance the image.

FG - the fence is a nice addition but I feel it is to close to the image edges. I feel "fenced in" when I look at the image due to the crampness in the FG. Moving back and including grass in the FG with the fence would have been a better strategy IMO.

Middle Ground - The two trees unbalance the image due to the un-symmetry of their placement. I would have placed them equa-distant from the image edges.

BG - I like the mountain and its placement and the clouds flowing down too it form good leading lines. I would not crop the sky.

DOF - at f/8 was not enough for the FG to be sharp. IMO, images like this require the FG to BG to be acceptability sharp.

Great light in this scene.

Dave Mills
04-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Hi Dan, I agree with Roberts compositional suggestions. Sometimes a foreground can be so dominant it has a tendancy to restrict the eyes movement into the scene.
The lighting, while soft is quite flat and uninteresting. I can see the mountains colors and grasses really popping under the right light.

Rachel Hollander
04-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Dan - Some good points above. I agree about the trees but am on the fence about the fence (pun intended). If your intention was to show what it might feel like to be in the corral then I think you have accomplished this but if your intention was to just include the fence as an interesting fg then I think moving further back would have worked better.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
04-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey Dan,
I'm with Robert on his assesment. Crouching down may have also worked.....to minimize some of the grasses that are a bit dominant.

Randy Bronkema
04-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi Dan
overall it's a very well exsposed image, nice color throuhg out but I have to agree about the fence, and the tree on the left bothers me a little too it's out of balance,which at times is a good thing a few steps back and down would help this a lot and think it would balance out the trees. IMO still a very nice image!!!
Randy

dankearl
04-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the comments.
I agree, I was too close to the fence, but it was at the edge of pavement, so I couldn't move back.
The light was flat (mostly overcast), which is why I used an ND with a CP to have as much "punch" as possible. It is such a beautiful area, I tried to make lemonade out of lemons.