PDA

View Full Version : Wheatear

Austin Thomas
04-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Here is another from the current Wheatear project.

I know that this will not be to everyones liking as there is a large amount of what is affectionately called “mush” around the subject. It was taken whilst lying amongst stinging nettles on the edge of a recently ploughed field. The Wheatear would come back to the grassy edge of the field and then scan the surrounding soil. Once it saw something of interest it would then fly back into the field.

If you would like to see this same bird in the same field but with a more conventional presentation then please click HERE (http://www.austin-thomas.co.uk/blog/?p=1106)

Canon 1DMK4, 800mm, 1/2500, f5.6. ISO800

C&C welcome.

Austin

Greg Basco
04-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi, Austin. I definitely prefer this one -- really well executed. Congrats on a very nice image.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Daniel Cadieux
04-24-2011, 01:28 PM
I much prefer this one too...I just wish the "mush" was not as dark and opaque. Awesome BG...I love the faint grass streaking in LL edge.

Arthur Morris
04-24-2011, 05:49 PM
I too like it. Gives the impression of being a real skulker... And adds a somewhat mysterious mood to the image. Lightening the mush should be possible. I think that taking some off the top would help.

Tony Whitehead
04-24-2011, 09:54 PM
I like this too, Austin. Agree with taking a bit off the top. I really like the sharpness of the bird against the smoothness of the "mush" but also like that there is some texture in it conveying it's grassy content. The angled light really shows up the plumage texture well.

Stu Bowie
04-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Austin, this works for me too. The colours blend in nicely together, and just enough of the wheatear to show him off. Well captured.

Austin Thomas
04-25-2011, 03:15 AM
Thanks for your comments and feedback. Highly appreciated.

Cheers

Austin