PDA

View Full Version : "Worms Head" Rhossilli

Graham Berry
04-24-2011, 11:31 AM
a 3 Shot HDR taken at worms head Rhossilli on the Gower ,South Wales. taken a couple of years ago at around 7.30 in the evening ,mid September. (late holiday). photamix for the HDR ,but quite a bit of PP in capture NX2 (control points etc.)along with some amaturish touch up (CS5) to hide a few blemishes left by ghosting ,down to the hand held nature .

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff445/buzz-boy29/wh2hdr.jpg

Dave Mills
04-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi Graham, Very strong image! Love the sun and clouds along with the sun's positioning. The fence acts as agood leading line along with the road. The light is soft and appealing with good handling of the HDR. The only suggestion I would make would of been to exclude the part of the bench otherwise nicely done!

dankearl
04-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Excellent HDR, I agree with Dave, maybe a bit of crop at the bottom to remove the bench, but the sun and clouds are really well done. Maybe a bit too blue, at least it is on my monitor.

Brendan Dozier
04-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Beautiful image, Graham! Great light, nice composition, and good job with processing. Agree about bench, but very nicely done! :S3:

Graham Berry
04-25-2011, 02:19 AM
thank you all for your comments , it was a strange week ,I remember it rained for the whole week ,on the last evening before I was due to return home I decided to pop along to worms head for a last peek ,we had just had a big storm ,and the sky above was a vivid blue with almost coal black clouds that were breaking up .I took several snaps , they did not seem anything special at the time ,but I recently decided to process the bracketed shots as HDR and was surprised . I have another couple of shots from the same shoot ,that came out as good too , they also look great as b/w.
thanks again ,Graham

Graham Berry
04-25-2011, 03:32 AM
here is another one ,taken same evening , I have deliberately dampned the blue/mauve on this one ,maybe a bit too much ,but the bench is not a distraction at least .
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff445/buzz-boy29/wh3.jpg

Nick Palmieri
04-25-2011, 06:29 AM
Beautiful composition. I am looking at this on a non-calibrated monitor, but to me some of the dark clouds are looking a little black. While I understand that they actually may have been black, a mistake many make in HDR processing is not setting the black point, that may have fixed the blue issue as well. This falsely gives dark clouds a pure black appearance. Overall this image is beautiful, the sunburst is perfect! Nice job.

Robert Amoruso
04-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Graham,

Good looking HDR. I agree with Dave's comments. Walking forward a few feet would have taken the partial bench out and is preferable to cropping later.

On the posted second image - we are happy that you want to share but please post different images in a new thread. Two reasons; it is our policy but more importantly is that many will miss this excellent 2nd image that have already viewed this thread.

It is AOK to repost crops and reprocessed versions of the same original image in the same thread.

Thanks for participating.

Graham Berry
04-25-2011, 07:18 AM
thank you , one of the things that attracted me to the scenes were the vivid dark clouds against a blue sky above them.
Though you may well be right this hdr does indeed show them a little darker than fact ,but not by a lot I believe from memory . I neglected to mention that this composition was done using CS5 for the hdr part and nx2 to finish up with along with a little nik tonal contrast applied to the lower path and fence area via control points.

Graham Berry
04-25-2011, 08:04 AM
sorry Mr Amoruso, most of the forums I have been to ,discourage multi threads (posts) on what is basically the same subject , after your explanation I can see the reasoning behind your method ,I will stick to the rules .
I assume its ok to repost either of these imiges should I decide to reprocess or convert to B/W etc.
I must admit I feel a bit overwhelmed by the obvious talent and knowledge on this website ,and have not yet commented on others work as I do not yet feel qualified .
thanks
Graham

Graham Berry
04-25-2011, 08:38 AM
I have tried to lessen the dark clouds , it needs a fresh pair of eyes to see if it is better than the previous composition .
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff445/buzz-boy29/wh3b.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
04-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Hey Graham,
I too agree with the points on the bench in the OP......but still feel it is a stronger comp overall......mostly due to the sun and shadow play of the fence. Yeah......it has the HDR grunge look to it.....but I do believe it works. Great job following the advice on the repost ......as it does work better IMO. Nicely done overall on both!