PDA

View Full Version : Best time to visit the Masai Mara

RakeshDhareshwar
04-24-2011, 05:39 AM
I have contemplating a tip to Africa and am stuck between two months ...August and October . Would like some advice on which is better for photography ??

Thanx in advance,
Rakesh

Steve Kaluski
04-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Rakesh I think it depends on where & what you want to photograph.

Steve

RakeshDhareshwar
04-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Hey Steve ,
I am planning to visit the Masai Mara , Lake nakuru and surrounding areas . My target is to get the big 5 if possible . My concern is rain and bad light , as my visit would be for a maximum of 7-8 days .

Tom Graham
04-27-2011, 11:57 PM
If Hilary Hann does not reply here, suggest you PM her. She know lots about safari in Kenya.
Tom

Steve Kaluski
04-28-2011, 01:24 AM
A short trip Rakesh with a demanding shopping list. :S3:

Lake Nakuru is good, you should see Rhino there, but obviously the key element is the large number of Flamingos. Samburu is also good I have found. Personally, with the limited time you have, you want to spend as little time getting around to several locations and use one area as a hub, so to speak.

There are a couple of other locations I am looking to work out from
- Kicheche Mara camp
- Little Governors camp
- Rekero camp (superb, but at a price)

You could also contact Ken Dybal too, he is based out in Kenya

Hilary Hann
04-28-2011, 03:53 AM
Rakesh, I have sent you a message which I hope helps.

Less is more! Especially for photography.

Steve, I think Ken Dyball is managing Oliver's in Tarangire, Tanzania. At least that is what he said he was going to do but he would offer good advice if he could be contacted. I think he stays at Rekero.

Steve Kaluski
04-28-2011, 04:13 AM
Rakesh I will as Ken D to contact you.

Thanks Hilary for your input.

ken dyball
04-30-2011, 03:14 AM
Hi Rakesh
The first question i always ask is do you want to see the migration, if so you need to go between Aug-Oct, weather wise is hit & miss as the short rains come at this time, if the migration is not important then Nov would be my choice, weather is usally good, crouds are down, the grass is short from the migration & the predetors are still after the last of the wildebeast,
if you only have 7-8 days stay in the Mara!!, you need a good guide! Leopards are plenty & black Rhino are seen more & more every year you just have to look in the wright places, buffalo, Lion, Elephant are easy so there is your big 5, accommodation Rekero is the best in my book but check out Sunworld they are in a great position with a great price, both camps will do you a package with a excellent guide.

Good luck let me Know if you need any more info. www.africanatureimages.com

Cheers Ken

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks for your input Ken, Rakesh I hope this now helps you?

Steve