PDA

View Full Version : Elle Rose

Mitch Haimov
04-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Canon EOS 5D, Canon 180 mm macro lens, extension tubes, tripod. Manual focus and exposure (0.5 sec at f/5, ISO 100).

Ken's Rosy Ghost inspired me to dig up this one from last summer...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5306/5646924792_5c246bef9b_b.jpg

As always, all comments welcome and appreciated!

OvidiuCavasdan
04-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I like the composition and color, nice details where it's sharp. I think I would prefer the edge of the petal a bit oof at bottom, but I like the image as presented.

Brendan Dozier
04-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Very cool, soft rose abstract and nice colors, Mitch. I like when abstracts are on the verge of taking the apperance of something else. This one almost looks like it could be part of a sea shell. Wonder if making the lighter area on the mid to upper left side more gradual gradation into the more saturated color below would make it stronger. Nicely done! :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey Mitch,
A think the suggestions above are good and worth exploring but for me......just a simple crop off the top.....where the petal starts to go back right.....eliminating the brightest area in the UR entirely (leving the petal almost vert about 1 inch from the ULC) would work for me. You can browser crop to see what I mean. Easy fix for my tastes.......so nicely done overall!

Steve Maxson
04-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Hi Mitch. I like the curving diagonal flow of the petal edge and the subtle mix of pastel colors. The petal edge is sharp where it needs to be to grab our attention and then fades nicely into the background. Well done.

Anita Bower
04-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Good use of selective focus. I like the curving line going up and out. I agree with Roman about cropping from the top. I would also like to see the yellows brightened up a bit, but that is just me. I'm not thrilled with the meaty feel to the petal--to some it looks like a shell, which is nice. I would prefer to have the angle a bit different, more from the left with only the edge in focus. I think this is a matter of personal preference only.

Mitch Haimov
04-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions! A variety of crop options presented themselves when I was optimizing this one. I think I now agree that cropping from the top would have been the better option, but at the time I was going for a hint of OOF echo of the bottom of the image at the top. But it is more of a distraction--especially since it is the brightest part of the image--than a complement. Thanks again for the input.

Ken Childs
04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Mitch, as you might have guessed, I like this sort of image and your capture and presentation looks good. If you follow Roman's advice about the crop, I think it will improve an already fine image.

Mitch Haimov
04-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Here's a cropped repost:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5190/5663359242_a29e2d8808_b.jpg

I tried various approaches to bringing out the yellows (curves, selective color, hue adjustments), but didn't care for the results. Some made the image muddy and all took it away from the subject's actual color.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Anita Bower
04-28-2011, 03:43 AM
I think the repost works better. What do you think?

Mitch Haimov
04-28-2011, 08:23 PM
I do agree that the repost is an improvement, Anita. Thanks.