PDA

View Full Version : Short Eared Owls

Jamie Douglas
04-22-2011, 11:02 PM
I had my first wild owl encounter today.

This is the right half of a full frame image cropped down the middle hence the very shallow DOF.

Techs
Camera Model Canon EOS 7D
Lens EF400mm f/5.6L USM
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/1600
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Compensation +1/3

Tin Man Lee
04-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Congrat on getting the in flight shot of this majestic species. Very focused eyes. I tried many times and never got that close to the SEOs. Nice pose to see the talons. Wish there were more space to the right maybe add canvas (?) as you said this is the right half.

Tom Redd
04-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Congratulations on seeing this beauty, I am still looking forward to seeing my first short eared owl. Agree with previous comments.

Joe Senzatimore
04-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Very well done BIF. Love that the eye is tack sharp. I too feel it is a bit tight in the frame , but still wish it were mine.:bg3:

Troy Lim
04-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Agree on a bit tight. Could use a little punch in Contrast here, would make it pop.

Jamie Douglas
04-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I will go and try some PS tweaks.

Arthur Morris
04-24-2011, 09:09 PM
You don't want more contrast. You want darker with a more even EXP. And sharper. As in the repost. If you would like to know what I did and how, just ask :)

Good to see you back posting :) Thanks a stack for your renewal.

Jamie Douglas
04-25-2011, 12:06 AM
WOW thanks Artie, let me take a stab at noticing the changes you made before I kindly ask you to share :S3:
- Cloned out the tall grass using quick masks
- Reduced the EXP just slighty, most noticeable changes are to the whites.
- Selective sharpening to head area.

Now your turn to tell me what you actually did :e3

Thanks a million.

Jamie

Arthur Morris
04-25-2011, 07:15 AM
Hey Jamie,

re:

WOW thanks Artie.

YAW.

re:

Let me take a stab at noticing the changes you made before I kindly ask you to share :S3:

Cloned out the tall grass using quick masks..
Did that with the Patch Tool.

Reduced the EXP just slighty, most noticeable changes are to the whites.
Separate processes there. Started by pulling down the curve a bit. (In retrospect I should have darkened the image overall just a bit more....). First I selected the WHITEs (Select/Color Range) and ran a 60% or so Linear Burn. In another spot the WHITEs were still too bright so I painted a QM and then pulled the curve down on that layer only (Control M). Then I created a Tim Grey Dodge and Burn Layer, lightened the shadows and darkened the highlights just a bit.

Selective sharpening to head area.
Yes sir using Unsharp Mask at about .3/200.

Done.

Thanks a million.

YAW. We do try to provide extra special help to those who support us with their membership fees :)

Jamie Douglas
04-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Hey Jamie,

re:

WOW thanks Artie.

YAW.

re:

Let me take a stab at noticing the changes you made before I kindly ask you to share :S3:

Cloned out the tall grass using quick masks..
Did that with the Patch Tool.

Reduced the EXP just slighty, most noticeable changes are to the whites.
Separate processes there. Started by pulling down the curve a bit. (In retrospect I should have darkened the image overall just a bit more....). First I selected the WHITEs (Select/Color Range) and ran a 60% or so Linear Burn. In another spot the WHITEs were still too bright so I painted a QM and then pulled the curve down on that layer only (Control M). Then I created a Tim Grey Dodge and Burn Layer, lightened the shadows and darkened the highlights just a bit.

Selective sharpening to head area.
Yes sir using Unsharp Mask at about .3/200.

Done.

Thanks a million.

YAW. We do try to provide extra special help to those who support us with their membership fees :)

Thanks for taking the time to repost and explain what you did :c3:. I am going to go and try that myself now.

Arthur Morris
04-26-2011, 03:13 AM
YAW. Do you have Digital Basics?

Jamie Douglas
04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Got Digital Basics, APTATS 1, APB II, and the 7D user guide (Not to brown nose but they are easily the best how to guides I have come across) :S3: Knowing when to apply each technique is what I am working on at the moment.

I read up on the Patch Tool in DB last night and realised this was better suited for the job rather than using a Quick Mask as shown in APTATS 1.

Much appreciated.

Jamie

Arthur Morris
04-26-2011, 11:32 AM
YAW, all good, thanks a ton for your purchases, and get studying! All it takes is a bit of practice!