PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
01-04-2008, 10:35 AM
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/239529785-M-1.jpg

I would appreciate any feedback you could offer on this wood duck image. This was shot with a Canon 100-400 IS lens on a Canon 10D. It was rather odd that this wood duck was not as skittish as most and actually approached me. I'm guessing it had more to do with the people next to me feeding the other ducks nearby. :cool:

Thanks,
Jake

Jim Neiger
01-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Gary,

I like the color in the water and you did well with the exposure in what appeas to be harsh light. I think having the bird be less centered (more space on the right and a little less on the left) would have improved the comp. I also wish that the ducks head was turned slightly towards you instead of slightly away. If the Wood Ducks are easily approachable, you may want to return during early morning light and try again. Try pointing your shadow at the bird and getting the lowest possible angle.

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
01-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks Jim! Indeed it was harsh light. Thanks for the tips.

Fabs Forns
01-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Jake, I just noticed you have 2 pictures up today, please refer to the guidelines, one post every 24 hours :)

Jim had good advise here!

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Oops. I should have read the guidelines. Sorry it must be the newbie excitement.