PDA

View Full Version : Wild Onion

Anita Bower
04-22-2011, 06:31 AM
I liked the look of these Wild Onions growing in my grass. (Our definition of grass: it is green and it can be mowed.)

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f 4.8, 1/400sec., ISO 400, tripod, natural light.
PP: PS7: levels, color balance, slight crop, Topaz DeNoise.

Norm Dulak
04-22-2011, 01:26 PM
It's certainly different. Thanks for sharing. :S3:

Brendan Dozier
04-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Really like the curves, soft light, & subtle variation of greens, Anita. Nicely balanced composition & shallow dof works well. Well done! :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Hey Anita,
Amazingly enough......I like this! I think you got the focus point in a perfect spot........and the way the onion fades into the BG is sweet! I debated toning down the LR brighter area.......but I feel a crop of about 3/4 inch off the bottom......eliminating it........would also strengthen the comp. Try a browser crop to see what I mean. Overall for my tastes.....a great example of soft focus with excellent flow.

Anita Bower
04-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Hey Anita,
Amazingly enough......I like this! I think you got the focus point in a perfect spot........and the way the onion fades into the BG is sweet! I debated toning down the LR brighter area.......but I feel a crop of about 3/4 inch off the bottom......eliminating it........would also strengthen the comp. Try a browser crop to see what I mean. Overall for my tastes.....a great example of soft focus with excellent flow.

Thank you all!

I think I will try darkening that LRC. Good idea.

OvidiuCavasdan
04-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Really like this one! Agree about the LR. I think Roman's crop suggestion will work perfect, also moving the in focus area lower.

Anita Bower
04-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Really like this one! Agree about the LR. I think Roman's crop suggestion will work perfect, also moving the in focus area lower.

Appreciate your suggestions. If I crop the bottom or move the focus area lower, the focused area becomes more centered than I want.

Mitch Haimov
04-22-2011, 08:32 PM
I like this one a lot, Anita. That said, both the LR and the top center are too bright for me. I would also prefer if the subject didn't exit the LR of the frame right through the corner, although I know some find exactly that desirable. The LL corner doesn't bother me because it is so soft; I suspect I'll find the LR corner exit less distracting once you have darkened it. I agree with not cropping for the reason you stated. Keep the creative images coming!

Anita Bower
04-23-2011, 04:59 AM
I appreciate the feedback. This was a playing-around photo. I've reposted with less brightness in focused area and LRC, blurred center bg, and crop from right.

Mitch Haimov
04-23-2011, 12:02 PM
The crop works! Definitely better than from the bottom.

Anita Bower
04-23-2011, 12:37 PM
The crop works! Definitely better than from the bottom.

Thank you!

Steve Maxson
04-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Hi Anita. Nicely seen and executed! I like the spiral and the shallow DOF works well here. The tweaks in your repost have taken it up a couple notches. Well done.

Ken Childs
04-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Hi Anita,

This is lovely and the comp in the repost looks perfect! I'm going to have to take a closer look at the billions of wild onion and garlic plants I have here.

I'm a bit late getting to this......things have been crazy busy and now the storms are causing problems so I apologize to the group for not being very active lately. Unfortunately this situation doesn't seem like it's going to be any better in the short term. :-(

Anita Bower
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Hi Anita,

This is lovely and the comp in the repost looks perfect! I'm going to have to take a closer look at the billions of wild onion and garlic plants I have here.

I'm a bit late getting to this......things have been crazy busy and now the storms are causing problems so I apologize to the group for not being very active lately. Unfortunately this situation doesn't seem like it's going to be any better in the short term. :-(

Thanks for comment. Just lie flat on the ground and look at those wild onions! Of course, you must take care of things around your place. That is a priority. Hope you aren't getting too much damage.

Ken Childs
04-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks for comment. Just lie flat on the ground and look at those wild onions! Of course, you must take care of things around your place. That is a priority. Hope you aren't getting too much damage.
No serious property damage but we had a large oak go down, kill a horse and it's now blocking access to my hay shed.

Norm Dulak
04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
No serious property damage but we had a large oak go down, kill a horse and it's now blocking access to my hay shed.

Wow Ken, that's pretty grim. Hope the nasty weather gets out of your area soon! Meanwhile, stay safe!

Anita Bower
04-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Oh no! How sad to lose one of the horses!