PDA

View Full Version : MALE RED-BREASTED MERGANSER

gary ellwein
04-22-2011, 12:53 AM
This is one of my favorite spring migration visitors. Nikon D3s, Nikkor 200-400mm, f7.1, 1/1000, iso 400, matrix, manual exposure mode, tripod. PS levels, shadow/ highlights, selective sharpening of subject. The gray glop on the shoulder is a distraction. C & C appreciated.

Gary

John Chardine
04-22-2011, 05:34 AM
Nice one Gary. There's a certain aloofness in the slightly turned away head angle, which I don't mind in this case. I like the pano crop which suits the bird. I would suggest you have a look at increasing the contrast of the image a little. I experimented with the middle slider of Levels and found it worked well and gave the image extra impact without losing any detail in the shadows. Give it a try.

Martha Weaver
04-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Ducks are such a variety! I like the crop with plenty of leading blank space in front of your bird. Nice detail in the feathers, too.

gary ellwein
04-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Nice one Gary. There's a certain aloofness in the slightly turned away head angle, which I don't mind in this case. I like the pano crop which suits the bird. I would suggest you have a look at increasing the contrast of the image a little. I experimented with the middle slider of Levels and found it worked well and gave the image extra impact without losing any detail in the shadows. Give it a try.

John, thanks for the critique. Redo with slight increase in contrast looked better on my monitor. I don't see much difference in repost. Will move on.

Gary

Ray Rozema
04-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Very good detail I agree the aloofness of the HA is good. the color of the duck looks good. since changing contrast did not effect it much I wonder about darkening the background slightly

TFS

John Chardine
04-22-2011, 03:26 PM
This is what I was thinking. I just pushed the middle slider in Levels a bit more to the right.

gary ellwein
04-23-2011, 11:58 AM
This is what I was thinking. I just pushed the middle slider in Levels a bit more to the right.

Thanks John. I think I submitted the original for the repost. Old man with computer.

John Chardine
04-23-2011, 02:46 PM
I wondered why the second one didn't look much different Gary!

Stan Cunningham
04-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Looks much better with more contrast!