PDA

View Full Version : Book Review - "A Digital Guide to Photographing the Night Sky" by Roman Kurywczak

Kerry Perkins
04-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Book Review - "A Digital Guide to Photographing the Night Sky" by Roman Kurywczak.

If you have ever seen those amazing pictures of the night sky, with stars circling overhead and spectacular natural elements lit up, and wondered "how the heck do they do that?", then this book is for you! If you want to learn how to make those images yourself, from a veteran professional with 15 years of experience in making them, then this book is for you. Professional photographer and photo-tour leader Roman Kurywczak has taken the mystery out of the process with his e-book "A Digital Guide to Photographing the Night Sky".

You are probably familiar with Roman through his moderator gig at BPN, but if you have not been to his web site you haven't really met the photographer and you are in for a treat. Roman has a depth and quality to his work that is both inspiring and motivational! He also has a passion for photographing the night sky and has turned that passion into a book that explains exactly how to do it, and do it right.

When Roman is not out leading tour groups to Africa, the great national parks of the Great Southwest, or leading macro workshops in New Jersey, he is out taking in the night sky - literally. He will show you how to do it in this e-book. Have you ever seen a one-hour exposure? His "White Dome Geyser" image in the book is amazing, and it was shot on film! Can you imagine waiting for that roll of film to be developed? When digital came along, Roman "kicked it up a notch" and perfected the art of capturing stunning images of the night sky accompanied by foreground features all nicely exposed. I'm sure some of you are familiar with the techniques, but how many of you have actually tried to make images like this? I have, and didn't do a very good job - but that was before the book came along. Now I have to go out and try again!

As you might imagine, there are a lot of factors to consider when you are trying to capture a wonderful landscape at night, and Roman shares the lessons he has learned over the years so you don't have to figure it out for yourself. Of course the book goes into great detail on camera settings and post processing techniques, but you will also find very helpful tips on the logistics of setting up your gear, composing and focusing in the dark, keeping your lens warm at night (holding it in your armpit is not the answer!), and of course the secrets of painting the landscape with light.

The book is full of breathtaking images that Roman has captured, revealing the sometimes hidden or forgotten beauty of the night sky, with majestic natural features of the landscape to frame the scene. I urge you to visit his web site and look at some of the images he has made in this way. If you are like me, you will be inspired to go out and try this yourself. Most of the places he goes to make these images are known to me, as I have travelled extensively in the southwest, but I never knew that I could make images like these and now I have to go back to places like Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Yellowstone, and Yosemite National Parks, Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Preserve, White Sands, and the list goes on. Wonderful places that you can go to and stay up all night!

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn how to photograph the night sky or has an interest in specialized photographic techniques. Roman explains it all in simple, easy to understand terms and his practical approach to the subject means you'll be learning quickly. You can purchase "A Digital Guide to Photographing the Night Sky" by Roman Kurywczak on his web site here - http://roaminwithroman.com . Enjoy!

P.S. - while you are there check out his photo tours on the "schedule" page!

Maureen Allen
04-21-2011, 10:52 PM
This is a wonderful guide and very much worth the small investment. I bought it a couple of months ago and found the instructions easy to follow and the results amazing. Night photography is great fun!

Thanks, Roman :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Thank you Kerry and Mureen! Glad you are enjoying the guide!