Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro w/20mm tube attached
Av mode
1/40"
F3.2
ISO 200
Exposure comp + 5/3
Tripod
LR & CS3
Camera hooked up to a laptop using EOS utility.

Another shot of the same yellow Knockout rose.

Indoors with indirect window light. Cropped, some cloning clean up, desaturated and lightened the darker yellow areas.

Steve Maxson
04-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi Ken. This one may be a little too abstract for my tastes - but take that with a grain of salt as abstracts are pretty far from my area of expertise. :t3 It will be interesting to see what others chime in with. I think I would like this more if there was something a little sharper for my eye to grab onto. The thin black border is very effective at setting this off from the light background.

Anita Bower
04-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Agree with Steve. Beautiful yellows. Black border works well. Doesn't quite work for me. Maybe if the lines were a bit more diagonal. and that wide white stripe center top were gone.

Norm Dulak
04-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Sorry Ken. But this is too abstract for me. It might be terrific to those in the know, but I am not able to properly evaluate such things. So I'm aftaid I will have to take a pass on this one. :w3

Still, I like new approaches and innovation. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Oh boy......sorry Ken......not for me either! Looking at the comp.......I wonder if it is the lightness overall? I think the comp is pretty good......so might be worth exploring the bit darker look.

OvidiuCavasdan
04-22-2011, 02:35 PM
I like the idea, but I feel it needs something...I don't know, maybe some in focus area/line, maybe some more color...more contrast. Anyway it is interesting experimenting this kind of images.

Mitch Haimov
04-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Although I like the concept, I'm afraid I'm with the crowd on this one, Ken. I'm Not sure I'd say "too abstract"--to me the problem is that it lacks a center of interest to hold my eye, compounded by the white area top center which I find myself looking at more than anything else. I like the composition and think it would have worked well if the area just above right center were sharp. I find that using either live view or a bright flashlight is a great help to manual focusing with these macro lens + extension tube images. Keep experimenting!

Ken Childs
04-23-2011, 06:08 PM
No worries....you win some and you lose some. :bg3:

I kept it light and purposely didn't go for anything sharp because it's a ghost and it wouldn't feel right for ghost to look nice and sharp. I may give another shot at pp'ing before I trash it.