Lens: VR 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G
Focal Length: 105mm
Aperture: F/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/15s
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200

Roman Kurywczak
04-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Hey Roy,
Not sure it belongs here.....but will keep it until we discuss and copy it to F&F......although not sure a great fit there either. I'll go with he was part of the landscape:bg3:.

I like the color contrasts and you did well isolating him. I do think the whites are borderline.....so just go and see if you can pull out any more detail in his hat and perhaps accordian. I find the white peeled area a bit distracting....but either toning it down a touch or patching it may work better. Finally.....I know he was getting reflection from the red of the building....but try pulling back a touch on the red in his face and perhaps lightening it just a touch. I think these small tweaks will make a big step in taking this up a notch and I believe is worth the effort to put the finishing touch on this very nice moment captured.

Dave Mills
04-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi Roy, Roman made some good suggestions. In addition this is a nice character study which tells a story. I also might crop a bit off the top and agree about taking out the 2 white areas on the wall that are distracting.
I can understand Roman's questioning where this type of image belongs. I thought the same when I saw it posted. Portraits would have the same problem...

Hazel Grant
04-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Agree with Roman's suggestions. I do have a question sort of related to this in a round about way. I am wondering, if you submitted this for a show, would you need some kind of release from this person, or would it be considered just a public shot? Just wondering. I hear a lot about releases, but am not sure how specific they are. I am , for instance, going to Russia this summer and am wondering if I took a photo of street merchants, etc. would I need to ask for releases if on the looooooonnnnnnng shot that I submitted one to a show or even the fair?

Andrew McLachlan
04-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Hi Roy nice capture here. I like the expression on the guy's face. Agree with Roman's suggestions.