PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly nymph

Steve Maxson
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
This is a full-body view of the same Darner nymph (Aeshna spp.) as my last post. It is still nice and clean after a molt the previous day. My next post will show what it used to look like. :w3 40D, 100 mm macro, 1/250, f/8, ISO 100, MT-24EX macro twin lite (diffused), tripod, cable release. RAW file PP in CS3 - levels, curves, saturation. I removed a number of bits of debris in the water, cloned some flash-generated spectral highlights, and did some NR on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Dawn Currie
04-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Fascinating! the detail is remarkable. The composition is spot on in my opionion. Thank you for giving me a new view of the life around us.

Mitch Haimov
04-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Another winner, Steve! Interesting perch, clean BG, and (of course) an interesting subject. Layout of the composition is also excellent. If I could change one thing--and this is minor--it would be to move the camera up a bit (tipping down to maintain the composition) so we are not looking up at the nymph, but strait straight on. Keep up the excellent work!

Brendan Dozier
04-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Another very cool one, Steve! Love the detail and light glow. Great work, look forward to the next one!

Ken Childs
04-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Yes, definitely another winner....light, comp and especially clarity all are outstanding! I'd be curious to see one from the perspective that Mitch suggests but this looks fine as is. One minor point....aren't those plants upside down? :bg3:

Steve Maxson
04-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the comments folks.

Ken: You're right - the plants on the left are upside down. I hadn't really thought about that before. Actually, the plants are free-floating, as they often are in nature, and they get jumbled up all sorts of ways in the water column. I'll have to watch that more carefully in the future. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Hey Steve,
Yet another great one to show us a world most of us won't ever see! Interesting obsevation on the plants......and if Ken hadn't mentioned it......I probably wouldn;t have thought of it. Your explanation works and is good to know!