Manual 1/100s at f8
ISO 400
75% FF

Per-Gunnar Ostby
04-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Sorry, typo - meant to say 1/1000s

Daniel Cadieux
04-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Tough light with the mottled shade/sun, and too bad a lower angle wasn't possible. I would also have pointed the lens more to the right, assuming there were no major distractions beyond the frame, in order to place the Ibis further left. Good catch by the Ibis, and I kinda like the submerged log.

Marina Scarr
04-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Hi Per-Gunnar:

Glad to see you made it to Florida safely and have already started your photographic adventure. Love to see the ibis with the catch. May not have been possible, but would have liked to see this shot from a lower angle with the ibis more in the left side of the frame since hs is facing toward our right. You will note with the current composition that there seems to be a lot of dead space to the left of the ibis which leads the eye away from your subject.

Looking forward to seeing more of your Florida captures.

Grace Scalzo
04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
I really like the shadowy aspects of this image, the submerged log and his foot showing thru the water add to that, as does the prey item. It does feel compositionally unbalanced tho with all that dead space on the left.

Arthur Morris
04-20-2011, 07:15 PM
PGO, I too like the mysterious look and the submerged log but not the mixed light on the bird (though it is not an image-wrecker here as it usually is for me). I do not understand the compositional choice. I like for there to be a reason of some sort evident in the image when folks opt to go against the guidelines; no reason is evident here.

Per-Gunnar Ostby
04-21-2011, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

This was the only angle I could get as I was on a wooden bridge and there was no way to get any other perspective so I had to do the best I could.

I hear you about the composition, but I played around with it and I liked this the most, primarily as I wanted to keep the log in.

We do the best we can with what we get :)

Per-Gunnar Ostby
04-21-2011, 04:10 AM
Sorry, I also meant to say, that I couldn't point the camera any further to the right, as the bird was nearly under the bridge and I would have gotten some very bright out-of-focus bridge into the image

Arthur Morris
04-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Good point about the log....