PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes

Ignacio Yufera
04-20-2011, 02:49 AM
A pair of coyotes following a trail in the snow (probably their own). The storm gave a brief respite, but it was hard to see the trail through the viewfinder.

Shot during Chas Glatzer's Yellowstone workshop last February.

Canon 1D MkIV, Canon 800 mm, manual exp., 1/640 @ f/6.3, ISO 200

RakeshDhareshwar
04-20-2011, 03:18 AM
The trail and the position of the coyotes make this image so surreal . Almost a monotone ......the exposure is par excellence !!

Mark Farnan
04-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Excellent shot, and you have nailed the exposure. Exposing snow is down right hard at the best of times, but you have detail across it, and good definition of the trail and the animals.

IMO, this is a great example of breaking one of the 'rules' and doing it well !, (dont' shoot animals from behind). With the Trail leading in, the heads looking off to the side, and the path leading out again into 'nothingness', it all just works.

If I HAD to find something to suggest as an improvement, I'd like to see a few more pixels on the right side, so the edge of the trail rolls off, rather than touching the edge of the frame. That way, following it keeps you 'in picture' rather than leading out the edge. Not much, just a small amount.

On a personal note, I find it an interesting juxtoposition of the white coyotes in the snow, vs the red dingo in the Red Desert I posted earlier today. Similar animals, so utterly different environments.

Really like this one. I'd hang it on my wall.

Regards

Mark.
www.markfarnan.com (http://www.markfarnan.com)

Robert Amoruso
04-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Ignacio,

You did well framing this image. I particularly like the tracks acting as a leading line. Going vertical was the way to handle this comp. It would have been better if you did not touch the right edge frame to the tracks however as that disturbs your viewer's eyes when they get to the edge of the image.

On the exposure of snow; I am sure that Chas taught you how to exposure for the snow and why it is not such a big deal. Meter snow and set exposure two to three stops over the metered EV.

Rachel Hollander
04-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Ignacio - I too like the comp and agree with the suggestions above. Nice job on the exposure. No one else has mentioned it but I see a pretty pronounced halo around the coyotes.

TFS,
Rachel

Jamie Strickland
04-20-2011, 08:54 AM
I like the composition as well, I see the halo that Rachel is talking about as well especially around the head of the top one

it seems to have a slight blue tint to it as well but I am at work and my monitor is not calibrated so that maybe just my monitor

Pieter de Waal
04-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Superb image Ignacio, excellent exposure, nice identical pose with both coyotes and great image design.

Robert Amoruso
04-20-2011, 12:51 PM
I agree I see the halos too now that I am on my desktop.

Ignacio Yufera
04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I do see the halo in the JPG; wonder what causes it, I haven't done any selective PP here.
I agree on some more space on the right, but as I said the trail was almost invisible through the viewfinder.

Best,

Charles Glatzer
04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Typically, that sort of hallo is caused from a shadow/highlight adjustment. Exposure nailed! And, love the comp.

See you in a month,

Chas

Ken Canning
04-22-2011, 06:49 PM
A beautiful image, I like how they are looking in the same direction with no overlap between them

John Ippolito
05-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Superb image, and composition. Halos can be fixed easily. Excellent.