Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av
.6"
F16
ISO 200
Tripod
LR & CS3
BG is black foam board

This is yellow Knockout rose that I worked over a few days ago. Another shot of this rose can be seen in the OOTB forum.

Indoors with indirect window light. Curves to get the BG nice and black, some cloning clean up. I did some extra sharpening on the "fin" but this is as far as I could take it without it looking too odd.

Brendan Dozier
04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Very cool & interesting shape to this, Ken. It does look like a hatching dino. Like the overall composition, and very nice soft, warm lighting. The black BG contrast nicely and adds to the dramatic effect.

This is minor, but some reason, the petal on the Rt. seems a little distracting, maybe just a little too much of it or it could be the blur on that petal and the sharp contrast to the black BG is just a bit too intense, drawing my eye away from the dino petal. However, I like the shape in the LRC, which looks like part of the "dino egg", so I'm not sure cropping part of the rt. petal would be the solution. Very minor point, and the composition is very creative and interesting as is. :S3:

Mitch Haimov
04-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Very nice, Ken! I second pretty much everything Brendan posted, but think the solution to the LR might be to darken that petal so isn't so distracting.

Steve Maxson
04-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Hi Ken. A very appropriate title! Looks like the little guy is saying "Feed Me!" - and you got his "mouth" in the ROT position. Brendan has covered my thoughts pretty well - I wonder if you could paint some low-opacity yellow onto the LRC petal to make it blend in a little more with the others?

Roman Kurywczak
04-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Hey Ken,
Brightness on a few spots already mentioned.....but way cool that you are lloking for these interesting comps!

Anita Bower
04-22-2011, 10:55 AM
I see why you photographed these particular petals, they are interesting. However, this image doesn't work for me. Unusual, as I usually love your photos.

The yellows are handled nicely--I like the soft tones. The flower stands out against the bg, as you intended.

The stuff in the lower part of the image distract me from the main part. The very light LRC pulls my eye and offers little. I wish for more sharpness in the "mouth" area.

I'll go over to OOTB and see your other rose photo.