PDA

View Full Version : A Bit of a Problem

WIlliam Maroldo
04-17-2011, 09:30 PM
SonyA850~Sony70400G@400mm~ISO1000~1/2000sec~F5.6~manual exposure~evening light~HH~4-13-2011~Brazos Bend State Park, Texas~CS5
This yellow-crowned night heron had trouble with a crawfish, and the "prey item" managed to latch on to the chest feathers(as shown here) and the lower bill with the other claw a few minutes later. He ultimately lost the battle after the night-heron managed to remove both claws, as they always do before swallowing the crawfish. Although I try to avoid having to use noise reduction as much as possible, the light's contrast didn't allow much exposure pushing. Lowering the ISO, which would require dropping the shutter-speed, was an option that didn't occur to me at the time, and although this was a momentary standstill, much of the other action required a high shutter-speed anyway. I used color NR in ACR and Topaz DeNoise in CS5 for the luma noise.
Comments and critique welcomed. regards~Bill

Jeff Dyck
04-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Love it! What a great moment to capture.

Technically, I think I'd try to lighten up and selective sharpen the bird and the crawfish a bit. The image has a bit of yellow cast on my monitor.

Troy Lim
04-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Great moment. It is a bit over saturated.
I would also try the landscape crop if you have room.

WIlliam Maroldo
04-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks Jeff and Troy. Good suggestions. I've narrowed down the color cast problem, of which this I've heard a number of times lately and do not see, to a monitor calibration issue which I will work on. As far as lightening the bird, selective sharpening, oversaturation, and using a horizontal crop; the next frame taken was with the crawfish latched on the lower bill and chest feathers and I'll take these suggestions into consideration while processing that image before posting it. Thank you. Bill

Jim Crosswell
04-18-2011, 07:34 AM
I like the expression on the herons face. Well done William!

Kaustubh Deshpande
04-18-2011, 09:38 AM
William, you've captured a great moment. Shooting and bird angle, both are excellent and gives such clean view of the action. Agree about a WB issue.

DanWalters
04-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Great moment! Does not look to happy his dinner is fighting back!

RakeshDhareshwar
04-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Absolutely loved this one . What a moment to capture !!

Ken Canning
04-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Chuckeled out loud with this one, very nice!!