PDA

View Full Version : The Bottomlands

dankearl
04-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Kind of an unconventional "Landscape" photo, I know.
A 70mm view of a Fence on the edge of a wetland.

1/25
f7.1
70mm
iso400
Handheld

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_0034_2_2_2-1.jpg

Dave Mills
04-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Dan, I like the effect you applied with an overall feel that is appealing. The end of the fence seems to be dividing the image in half. Compositionally I might take a bit off the right.Finally if this were mine I would take out the 2 oof leaves on the upper left...

Rachel Hollander
04-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Hi Dan - interesting effect. I find myself wishing for either a little more of the leaves of the tree on the lhs hanging over in the center or none at all (preferably more). I agree with Dave on the 2 oof leaves.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
04-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Hey Dan,
This one is pushing into OOTB......but I still think it can work here! I do think the mood works very nicely here! I agre about the OOF leaves in the UL......and while the RH side doesn't have as much impact as the left......I think overall it has a nice balance......mostly due to the VG job of PP'ing.

Andrew McLachlan
04-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi Dan, nice processing. I agree with the above comments. If you choose to evict the leave in the upper left corner you might want to clone the trail tape hanging on the branch near the leaves as well. Love the tones in this image!

Robert Amoruso
04-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Dan,

I have posted a suggested crop that I feel accentuates the best aspects of this image for your consideration.

I would also be interested in the processing steps that you used to obtain this unique look.

dankearl
04-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks eveyone for the comments.
Robert, I like your crop very much,
As for the processing, sometimes when I get back from a place, the photo just doesn't "feel",
like I thought it felt at the time so I just work on them until they do.
I just desaturated it, turned it to sepia, blurred it, resharpened it, and basically just adjusted everything until it "felt" like I thought it should look.
Not real scientific and impossible to duplicate the process from photo to photo.
Most photos, I do nothing with and sometimes I work them way too much.
This one was maybe in that category, but when I was done, It felt like the title to me, a fence in the bottomlands.

Robert Amoruso
04-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi Dan,

Glad you like the crop and thanks for the heads up on processing. Sounds like me, I can never duplicate what I do the first time. :w3