PDA

View Full Version : They call me Mr. Fluffy

Randy Stout
04-17-2011, 06:53 PM
This reddish egret came from an outing with Capt. James about two weeks ago. I liked the spikey look, and thought the side lighting played up this and the texture.

A bit of a challenge on where to crop. Had just a bit of leg, and more to the right, but felt this was a good option.

D300 600VR Tc 1.4 f/7.1 1/800s ISO 640 in the water, gitzo/wimberley V2

Post: Selective sharpening, linear burn on bill, cropped about 15%

Several small bits of feathers floating down in the lower left corner, elected to leave them.

I consider this right on the verge of too much contrast, but it gave the feathers a bit more definition and snap, so left.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Randy Bronkema
04-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Great shot Randy, sharp, nice contast and exposure. best of all the ruffled feathers gives it great texture. In the water how deep of water?

Randy

stuart wanuck
04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
love the image close sharp and nice exposure

Troy Lim
04-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Very nice shot. Would clone out the two spots to the left of the neck.

Jim Crosswell
04-18-2011, 07:26 AM
I like the ruffled feathers, sharpness and exposure. I would clone out the spot above the head. Well done Randy!

Ron Caswell
04-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Randy, Sure is fluffy :), I like it but would love to have the whole bird but I know you said there was some legs missing. Great feather detail also. Hope to see you at the local pond when it decides to be spring around here :)

Kaustubh Deshpande
04-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Randy, loved the details and HA. Tightness works well here IMO...lots of impact.

DanWalters
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Like the tight crop and the detail in the ruffled feathers. Nice color as well.

Stu Bowie
04-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Excellent detail Randy, and I feel you have nailed the exposure too. I just love the two tone colours of the plumage, together with the eye and bill. Well captured.

John Guastella
04-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Beautiful image: sharpness, exposure, colors are all spot on. I like the crop, shows the feather detail. I would have removed the floating feathers and I would clone out the light blotch (looks like a fingerprint!) at the middle of the top of the frame (just above the bird's head).

John

Randy Stout
04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I was standing in 2-3 feet of water.

I didn't have the entire bird to begin with, and thought that the tighter crop played up the plumage, so went with that.

As the veterans may remember, I had a reddish as my avatar for a long time, and really do thing that are cool, with entertaining personalities!

John - I thought about the feathers,but thought they added to the story. The 'fingerprint' at top is a specular highlight, which certainly could go. Jim mentioned that as well.

Cheers

Randy