PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly nymph portrait

Steve Maxson
04-17-2011, 11:13 AM
This is a nymph of one of the large Darner dragonflies (Aeshna spp.) and was photographed in my 2-gallon aquarium setup. It has recently molted so its body surface is quite clean. The structure at the bottom of the head and extending back between the legs is a modified mouthpart called a labium. It has an elbow-like hinge at the back and can shoot forward quite rapidly to capture a prey item and bring it back to the mandibles for consumption. 40D, MP-E 65 mm, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, MT-24EX macro twin lite (diffused), tripod, cable release. RAW file PP in CS3 - levels, saturation. I cloned some bits of debris in the water. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Mitch Haimov
04-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Another winner, Steve! Very clean presentation. Have you considered darkening the far antenna a bit to compensate for diffusion? That aquarium + MP-E 65 mm + MT-24EX is a deadly combination in your hands. I've been dreaming of that lens and flash combination for quite some time, tho I'm not likely to use it in quite the way you do. I guess your next step is to catch predation in action! :w3

Brendan Dozier
04-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Very cool, Steve. Nice detail, you can even see the fine texture on the eye (what do you call that kind of honeycomb eye structure anyway?). Wondering if you have tried macro video, that would be very cool to see them in action.

Steve Maxson
04-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the comments Mitch and Brendan.

Mitch: Whenever you put multiple sizes and species of aquatic invertebrates in an aquarium, predation occurs - and I do have some images of that that I'll post eventually. :S3: If you are an aquatic invert, it's a very dangerous world out there!

Brendan: This is called a compound eye and each individual "cell' within the honeycomb-like structure is an ommatidium. I haven't tried video yet - it would likely be challenging, but could produce some very cool results. Most folks probably aren't aware of what goes on in a "simple" woodland pond.

OvidiuCavasdan
04-18-2011, 12:48 AM
Amazing image, nice details and I like the colors too. Thanks for the biology lesson.

Ken Childs
04-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Steve, you're killing me! On one hand, your aquatic invert pics are inspiring me to try for some underwater shots. On the other hand, I know my pics won't be as good as what you've been posting so I'll probably be discouraged with the results. :bg3:

Steve Maxson
04-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Steve, you're killing me! On one hand, your aquatic invert pics are inspiring me to try for some underwater shots. On the other hand, I know my pics won't be as good as what you've been posting so I'll probably be discouraged with the results. :bg3:
Hey Ken. Like with anything else, practice makes perfect. :S3: The nice thing about these aquarium shots is that you can experiment with lighting, backgrounds, etc. until you get something you like. I just started doing this last summer and was pleasantly surprised at how "easy" this turned out to be once I got into it. Of course, I still have plenty to learn, but I'm working on it. :S3:

Ken Childs
04-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Hey Ken. Like with anything else, practice makes perfect. :S3: The nice thing about these aquarium shots is that you can experiment with lighting, backgrounds, etc. until you get something you like. I just started doing this last summer and was pleasantly surprised at how "easy" this turned out to be once I got into it. Of course, I still have plenty to learn, but I'm working on it. :S3:
It will come back to me when I find the time. I spent 26 years in the aquarium fish business and wanting to take shots of fish and aquatic critters is what got me into digital photography.

Steve Maxson
04-18-2011, 05:08 PM
It will come back to me when I find the time. I spent 26 years in the aquarium fish business and wanting to take shots of fish and aquatic critters is what got me into digital photography.
You'll be up to speed in no time! :S3:

Ken Childs
04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I just took a few test shots and was quickly reminded of one of the rules.

Make sure the aquarium doesn't have any scratches on the glass! :bg3:

Roman Kurywczak
04-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Hehehehe....it's alien! As expected.....tack sharp and very well lit!

Andrew McLachlan
04-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Steve, this is another awesome shot. Fantastic details!