PDA

View Full Version : Winter Solitude.

Daniel Cadieux
04-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Taken back in January.

That day was very cold, and the place was desolate. Not even a chickadee to cheer-up the silent vastness, not a single track in the snow, not even a skier or walker around. Only the chilling wind, and my thoughts, could be heard. This lone "tree" casting a long shadow across the fresh snow dunes pretty much summed up the feeling of solitude of the late afternoon.

The hot chocolate once back home was pretty darn satisfying as my fingers thawed on the warm mug... :S3:

Canon 40D + 28-75 f/2.8 lens @42mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/9, ISO 200.

dankearl
04-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Nice exposure and I like the theme and setting.
I think maybe a bit more contrast for the snow with a bit deeper shadow would look better.

Dave Mills
04-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi Daniel, I like the placement of the tree in the frame and the fact I can see some detail in the snow.
IMO the soft shadows are a positive aspect. They add interest to some areas but are subtle enough not to cause a distraction. Well handled!!

Robert Amoruso
04-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Daniel,

I think the scenes compositional structure of diagonal leading lines and soft shadows works well. I might suggest that not clipping the shadow of the small tree would be preferable - better to have separation from the frame edge IMO.

Rachel Hollander
04-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Daniel - I like the placement of the "tree." Well composed and good exposure.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
04-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Hey Daniel,
I love the play of lines here! You handled the exposure very nicely and the tree is placed very well. I do hope you did a lot of these as the layers of the snow are fantastic! Nicely done overall and just keep Robert's suggestion in mind for next time out.